◆WHAT IF... YOU HAD BEEN THERE?◇

Another short shot I've been tinkering with in my free time.

__________________   ◆  __________________

_________________   ◇  ___________________

The ground was covered in snow when his eyes flew open, as was he. It wasn't particularly as cold as it could've been with the sun oppressively bearing down on him yet he still shivered, a strange feeling stirring in his chest when he realized he was looking up into the empty sky instead of his bedroom's ceiling. He turned, looked around him, and his heart clenched furiously, a hundred knives striking him all at once as he took in the ruins of his home. Not a single thing was standing, everything reduced to dust, ash, and rubble. Tears sprung forth.

Oka-san... Oto-san...

Akihiko stood, trembling.
A whimper left his mouth when he saw the bloody hand beneath a piece of concrete. A dainty hand, nails painted white and blue just as she'd wanted, and her favourite wedding band around her finger. He crumpled to his knees, sobbing, and crawled towards his mother's body.

"Oka-san!!"

He grabbed her hand but let it go just as fast, a sourness creeping up his throat.

It's... so cold...

A loud cry ripped out of his throat and the tears blurring his sight came gushing out. No matter how many times he got hurt or how many times he behaved recklessly and got himself into trouble, that hand had always been the one to wipe away his tears. Every time, with a kind smile, her tender hands lifted his misery away from him. Offered him something better, a hope and understanding he didn't yet know would be the reason for his downfall into ceaseless despair. A tunnel only she knew the entrance to now had something else in it. All the lights had gone out. He was afraid of the dark, just like his sister was, so what else could he do but cry and wail, waiting... waiting...

For what? There was no one to see this, not anywhere; not a single ear that would hear his torture...

Akihiko went rigid, tears faltering for a moment.

Imouto-chan...

Then he heard another sound. A faint noise, a gurgling, coming from somewhere beneath all of this. He scrambled up and followed it, coming to a stop in front of a pile of wood and stones. Yes, the sound was definitely coming from here; He heard more soft noises like a mewling kitten, and something else. Plip, plop, plip, plop, it went, like a leaking hose. He pushed them away, a lump forming in his throat the moment he saw a short leg covered in soot and dust. When all of the debris had gone, though, he felt like the air was knocked out of his lungs. There she was; his little sister, curled up, hurt, and crying. He inhaled shakily.

Thank goodness... Thank goodness you're alive!

"Miyu-Chan...!" he whimpered, reaching out to pick her up.