Chapter 16

When Enid returned from her run, sweaty and breathing heavily, she was shocked to find Wednesday sitting on the floor against her bed, hyperventilating with wide eyes as she held her head in her hands, knees tucked up close to her chest.

"Wednesday!" Enid cried out, rushing over to her, dropping to her knees as she unthinkingly pulled the smaller girl into her arms and against her chest. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" She asked, checking her over for any obvious physical injuries, relieved that she couldn't find any.

But Wednesday didn't respond, remaining almost comatose in her ball against Enid, hands shaking from the white knuckled grip she had over her ears, holding her head as if it were about to explode, still barely getting any oxygen into her system.

"Wedns, I need you to breathe. You're gonna pass out. Come on, deep breaths." Enid murmured, slowly coaxing Wednesday to relax her body, pulling her to sit more comfortably on her lap, Wednesday's legs slowly wrapping around her hips, arms slowly around Enid's ribcage.

"That's it. Good girl, Willa. Good girl. Now try to breathe slowly for me. You can do it. Come on, in and out." Enid instructed, rubbing her back gently as Wednesday started to desperately cling to her, breathing more erratic than ever. "I know you're scared, baby girl. I know. But you gotta breathe."

But how could she.

She was drowning again.

Gasping for air while water rapidly filled her mouth.

Her vision was getting darker and darker as she sunk further into the murky depths of panic.

Cupping her face, Enid forced Wednesday to look at her, the raven's eyes misted and glassy as she gasped pathetically, lips starting to turn blue.

"Please, Wednesday. You're scaring me. You gotta breathe. Please, baby. For me." Enid begged, gently stroking her face as she continued to gasp, tears finally rolling free down her cheeks.

At a loss for what to do, this having played out so differently to last time, Enid just reacted, leaning forward and pressing her lips to Wednesday's, relieved when she felt her finally inhale deeply through her nose.

Wednesday's mind went blank.

The swirling and overwhelming thoughts that were screaming at her vanishing as she found her tether, finally able to breathe.

Relieved it seemed to be working, Enid continued to slowly kiss her, Wednesday continuing to take deep inhales as her lips slowly moved with Enid's.

"Shh." Enid soothed, gently carding her fingers through Wednesday's hair, extending her claws to tenderly rake them over her scalp, feeling her melt against her. "You're okay, baby. I'm here. I've got you." She whispered against her lips, pressing them firmly together again.

Enid continued to slowly brush their lips together, Wednesday needily reciprocating, until she felt her breathing even out to normal, pulling back and holding the trembling raven against her chest, Wednesday resting her cheek over Enid's heart, letting its rhythm soothe her, the tears silently slipping down her face.

"I-I... I can't!" Wednesday cried, finally letting herself breakdown in Enid's arms, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Eres la luz que ilumina mi día y sin la que no puedo vivir. Te necesito más que a mi propia vida." (You are the light of my life that I cannot live without. I need you more than life itself.) Wednesday sobbed against Enid's shoulder, clutching with white knuckles to her sweat-soaked shirt.

"Wedns... I don't understand." Enid murmured gently, stroking a hand over her back as she tried to soothe her back down, at a complete loss for what to do.