Chapter 3: Lone Wolf

Noble Six was on his own. He has completed his mission by delivering the AI that is Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn and using a nearby MAC Cannon to clear their path, so the ship could escape.

At this point, he was going to sacrifice himself and buy the UNSC or any human survivor that was still here on Reach enough time to regroup and revitalize.

What better way to get attention from the enemy is to stand out of the open and slaughter any Covenant straggler or scavenger who didn't flee that he saw.

Noble 6 continued heading East, armed to the teeth ready for his last stand.

He traveled across the battlefield and evacuation site where more bodies of the UNSC, ODST and Covenant were all over the area. In his presence Noble 6 spotted some Grunts and Jackals who were foolish enough to still be there and did not show any mercy for any Covenant he saw.

Screams of the aliens fell silent as he slaughtered and continued East and saw destroyed buildings and defenses. Only the sound of strong winds can be heard as the broken Spartan pressed on.

As he moved forward, he had a memory flashed before him. The Spartan went out of a doorway at New Alexandria and came across a female UNSC Lieutenant and a squad of marines trying to save civilians being held hostage by Brutes.

The very destruction of the city and its people, similar that of the final evac site. Noble 6 remembered the Lieutenants face as she looked familiar even in marine BDU's, her face looked exactly like the pilot that was given Jaesa's dog tags earlier. As she had somewhat pale skin, blue eyes, and blonde ginger hair.

She reminded him of someone he once knew during his time in the UNSC academy, just like Jaesa, before he became a Spartan 3. But he doesn't remember her name, despite the Lieutenants face being familiar to him. But all faded to black.

As the memory faded, he surveyed the area looked and saw where the remains of Echo, Gauntlet and Red Teams was in their last stand. All 8 of them sprawled out across the evacuation site. Noble 6 slowly traversed the aftermath of the evacuation site, it was not pretty.

He scanned around for any nearby enemy with his DMR aimed forward. Expecting to be ambushed, but all he heard was the sounds of nature and fire engulfing the surrounding area.

The Spartan pressed on and soon noticed one of the bodies of the fallen soldiers. One that he recognized and was close to. Laid out against a broken wall, there was a female Spartan 3, equipped with gunmetal grey armor with a teal blue visor, all pieces reminiscent that of an ODST mixed with a Spartan.

Upon a closer look her name on her armor as it said, 'Echo-5'. His eyes widen in his visor as he now confirmed that this was his best friend was indeed killed in action. Or so it appeared.

He stood over her body, about to cry but he couldn't, so he lightly sobbed in pain without tears as he fell to his knees dropping his weapon. "I'm sorry....... Jaesa....... I'm so sorry!"

He stared at her 'corpse' trying to figure out what to do now as oldest friend has been slain in battle.

The Spartan was so broken at this point that he didn't check for her vitals as he was determined to finish what he started. To continue his suicide mission and avenge the fallen soldiers. He stood up and turned away from Jaesa's body, then looked back at her, and sighed heavily.

He walked away and tried to find a perfect spot to die in. This goes on for 10 minutes and couldn't pick anything good. Soon, his worst fears were realized, he was ambushed by the Covenant, swarming in to kill Noble 6.

However, these weren't same aliens that he'd slain as they wore various special armor among numerous Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Brutes. They were a more combat experienced force than what he was used to as they tried to flank him. "Finally, a challenge." Noble 6 shouted to them and soon the slaughter begins.