Chapter 65

Carlisia hadn't heard from Carson again.

Another day had gone by and based on the preparations she could make out from the window, she would only have today at best.

No one had come to visit her after her encounter with Reuben. Like clockwork, food was delivered to her room but she had refused it all, filling herself with the tap water in the bathroom and sleeping through most of the hunger.

She couldn't afford to let her guard down. Perhaps none of the meals were drugged, perhaps they wanted her to let her guard down and drug the next one, perhaps all of them were. She simply couldn't risk it.

She had showered and changed into fresh clothes to pass the time. The freshness the water brought was only momentary as lethargy from the lack of food took over her again and she found herself in bed, ready to drift away.

Anytime now, she would hear the door to her room unlocking and Reuben entering with a tray of food. He would stare at the untouched plate of food with disappointment but won't comment as he would take it away.

Carlisia closed her eyes and willed herself to relax, pretending to sleep as she heard footsteps and no later the click of the lock. She waited to hear the clattering of the tray of food but it never came.

She felt the bed dip by her side, Carlisia opened her eyes and scrambled back no later.

Gabriel sat as relaxed as ever staring at her, Carlisia on the other hand probably looked like a deer in headlights.

Gabriel stared at her for another moment before trailing his eyes to the untouched tray of food then back again.

"I understand you have been cooped up in this room for such a long time. Would you like to go out for lunch?"

Carlisia stared at his tense shoulders, clearly he was putting in a lot of effort to be civil.

"With you?" Carlisia asked.

"Yes."

"No."

Gabriel tilted his head, staring at her.

"Why all this anger, butterfly?" Gabriel asked, she could see the vein in his neck straining.

"Why not?"

Gabriel sighed, pinching his nose.

"Your anger is not going to change the outcome of this. We are to be wed tomorrow afternoon. Is one meal really that bad?"

Carlisia's heart beat erratically at the mention of the wedding.

"I don't want to be chained to you in the name of a marriage, Gabriel. Everything you do is for yourself. You are controlling and do not care about my feelings or anyone's, for the short time I have been in your company. You have proven that over and over again. I may be a mere human with no rights in your eyes but forcing me and keeping me captive have made me lose what little respect I had for you to begin with."

Gabriel nodded, getting up. For a moment Carlisia thought he was going to ignore her, like Reuben.

"Well, I wanted to do this the easy way."

Before Carlisia could react he was on top of her. She hadn't noticed the rope or the bandana as he made quick work of tying her hands and ankles together, followed by gagging her.

Carlisia screamed and screamed but no one came as he threw her over his shoulder and began to walk out of the room.

Carlisia was sobbing as she tried to kick free but Gabriel's hold was strong, walking along hallways.

Some of the people stared at her she even saw Rue as she stared wide eyed.

"Please help me!" Carlisia had cried at the sight of her but her words came out muffled.

Rue looked at her with tears in her eyes before looking away and walking in the opposite direction. Carlisia sobbed harder.

"Was that really necessary, Gabriel?"

Reuben. That voice was Reubens.

Carlisia gave another scream.

"Help!"

"Yes." Gabriel replied as he walked past her step brother and out in the open.

Carlisia felt humiliated as Gabriel's pack members looked at her with shock but no one said anything. Before she knew it, Carlisia was strapped into the passenger seat of Gabriel's car.

Carlisia was a sobbing mess as she tried to get out of the car but Gabriel had put the child lock on. She began banging on the window after that.

She knew people could hear her but no one even paused to stare as Gabriel strapped himself in the driver's seat peeling out of the driveway.

Carlisia's sobs and screams had subsided at the sight of the open road. No help was coming, no reason to wallow in self pity. She turned away from Gabriel, staring out the window.

After a moment she felt a tug behind her head, where the bandana was secured and the gag fell off.

Carlisia's breath hitched as she felt Gabriels hand at the back of her head, gently massaging it.

Fresh tears began to well in Carlisia's eyes but she didn't turn to him.

"I do not like doing this, butterfly."

Carlisia closed her eyes in an attempt to keep the tears at bay as Gabriel treaded his fingers through her hair.

The rest of the car ride was silent when suddenly a sense of familiarity began to dawn on her at the sight of the roads. Finally, Gabriel peeled into the parking lot of the diner - where it all began.

For a moment Carlisia pictured the first day she had come here with Reuben and Elijah. How they had smiled and laughed even after Gabriel had attacked her - not that anyone admitted it out loud.

This was also the very first place she had formally met him.

The thought felt sour.

Gabriel got out of the car and opened the door for her. Leaning down to untie the rope on her ankles and wrists before stepping back.

Carlisi took deep breaths, wiping her eyes before carefully stepping out of the car. Gabriel didn't touch her as he began to walk beside her, his hands in his pockets. She felt angry at her own helplessness at how harmless he thought of her. How insignificant.

The diner was oddly empty for this time of the day as she followed Gabriel to a table. Carlisia felt so exhausted after her struggle as she sat in the chair opposite from him and closed her eyes.

She could feel Gabriel's eyes on her.

"Why don't you go to the restroom in the back and freshen up a bit. Perhaps that will help you feel more awake."

Carlisia opened her eyes, glared at Gabriel before silently getting up.

The restroom was clean for a public space as Carlisia locked it behind her and walked to the sink, splashing her face with cold water.

She let it drip down her face, repeating the process in hopes of feeling better but it did nothing to alleviate her situation.

When she looked up in the mirror she jolted.

Carson stared back at her.