Chapter 21

When Maria returned to her daughter's room, she saw Carlisia seated on a sofa, her head in her hands as she rocked herself back and forth, the weight of her situation crushing her.

As soon as Maria's presence was detected Carlisia turned to her.

"Did you know?"

Maria looked away replying.

"I never thought this would happen."

Carlisia paled even more.

"How could you let me come here if you knew this would happen to me." Carlisia felt betrayed.

"A human has never been mated to a werewolf before, Carlisia. If I had known this would be the case, I would never have let you return myself." She sighed as she walked toward her and sat at the corner of the sofa as Carlisia stared at her.

"Gabriel said everyone is a werewolf here. Are you one of them?" Carlisia's eyes were wide as she asked her mom the very question that had been nagging her.

"No, I am not a werewolf. Ben's mate had died when the boys were young and I was just out of a divorce. We met a year later in Turkey. He was there for business just like me. One thing led to another and here we are now, married for ten years. The community accepted me when Ben took permission from the former Alpha. The Leader."

Carlisia tried to digest everything.

"You married Ben, willingly?"

Maria nodded, smiling.

"Yes. As I said, his mate had died. We were open to choices."

"And I'm not?" Carlisia whispered; she already dreaded the answer.

Maria stayed quiet.

"A mate is considered the other half of a werewolf. They are destined to be together. As far as I know, there hasn't really been a human mated to a werewolf by destiny. But werewolves are very protective creatures and Gabriel is the Alpha of our pack, he is justifiably more protective."

Bile rose up Carlisia's throat.

"Why are you supporting him, mom?"

"I am not supporting him."

"Then you would help me leave?"

As soon as those words left Carlisia's mouth Maria paled and her eyes darted outside the window then back to Carlisia.

"Carlisia, he will not hurt you but if you try to leave, I fear that he might behave irrationally - "

"Irrationally? Mom, he chased me into the woods and then dragged me back to his house. I was terrified! He tried to lock me in a room and wouldn't let me leave! Now, he wants me to spend weekends with him! I don't want this, mom! He's too old!"

Carlisia was sobbing, her head in her hands.

Maria reached forward to rub her daughter's back and Carlisia moved away,

"Don't touch me!" She sobbed and Maria paled even more.

"He won't hurt you, Carly."

That made Carlisia sob harder.

"You don't know that!"

Everyone's a werewolf.

She had nowhere to go. If Gabriel was their leader, everyone would be loyal to a fault. For a moment the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle began to fit into place.

How everyone said she had fallen down the stairs when she really hadn't.

How Gabriel was in school when he didn't need to be.

How Sidra and Rue had canceled breakfast plans the other day.

How Sidra had sudden plans today and how Gabriel quickly managed to swoop in to entertain her.

This was all planned.

Carlisia felts light-headed as more bile rose up her throat, she tried to keep it down as she ran to the bathroom and exploded in front of the toilet bowl, puking her guts out.

Even more, tears streamed down her face as she coughed. Her mom was by her side, patting her back but Carlisia felt disgusted and betrayed by her very own mother.

"Please leave me alone," Carlisia said and Maria stiffened.

"Sweetie, I didn't know it would come to this."

"But you could have told me when you did. Yet, you didn't." Carlisia whispered; her words came out pained.

"I'm sorry, but the law forbade me." Maria sighed as she got up, kissing Carlisia's forehead gently before leaving.

Carlisia closed her eyes as more tears streamed down her cheeks.

No one was going to help her, if her mother wasn't going to then Carlisia was a hundred and ten percent sure she shouldn't expect much from the rest of the population in this God forbid town.

The idea was simple, she had to leave.

Carlisia sat on the sofa for an eternity gathering her thoughts.

She had enough money with her to get a ticket back to Sydney, Australia. The minute she lands, she could explain everything to her uncle then.

But what if someone finds out?

Carlisia's eyes instinctively trailed outside the window; she could make out a wolf watching her from the woods. She felt goosebumps at the back of her neck as she stared at it before abruptly looking away.

She knew avoiding Gabriel would be difficult but she also knew that he had to sleep one way or another. Besides, he might have other stuff to do instead of staying outside her window.

She had exactly a week to plan this out. She needed to know exactly when Gabriel didn't have his eyes on her. The only possibilities she could think of were when she would either be asleep or when he would have someone else look over her.

Meaning, she had to be smart. She couldn't let anyone know.

Adrenaline fueled Carlisia as her eyes set on a calculated gaze.

She had exactly seven days before the next weekend to figure something out and one thing was for sure, every second would count.