Chapter 1

Carlisia looked around the empty airspace, trying so hard to wake up from this bad dream.

Maybe these winds wanted to wake her up too, she thought as they slapped her face every now and then.

She looked up at the grey sky scattered with dark clouds then to the swooshing sound behind her as the door to her uncle's private jet closed.

She didn't want to be here.

She used to visit this place so often in the past. Her dad used to force her mainly, he always wanted her to be close with her mom as she was with him.

It never really quite settled with her though. It wasn't that her mother didn't love her or she didn't love her mother. Visiting her mother had just seemed so irrelevant when she had all the love from her father's side of the family.

The first few years her father would bribe her just so she would visit her mom for a week, the next few years he would offer to increase her allowance if she went to visit her mom for the weekends, after that she couldn't remember what happened. She had stopped altogether after she had turned 11, there was no amount of bribery that would make her go.

When she would return to Sydney she would often think how funny it was that when she was in Seattle, she actually did enjoy time with her mom.

But then again, home was home and her place had always been right beside her dad.

Not anymore.

Carlisia is brought out of her thoughts with a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you okay Carly?" Her uncle asked her with concern.

"I'm fine Uncle Jim." she replied, nodding assuredly as he helped her to the awaiting Mercedes.

"I know it is hard Carly, but I promise things will get better." He said as Carlisia nodded with tears in her eyes.

"I know." She managed to whisper.

Her uncle hugged her and was about to say something but was cut off with his cell phone ringing.

Her uncle was the CEO of a leading telecommunication company. Being that, he was super busy all the time however he would always make out time for her and her father during the weekends.

Not that he would need to anymore.

Her father was a member of the army and had recently passed away serving. The news had hit both her and her uncle really bad.

Both of them thought it was an error until the body had arrived.

She had gone from depression to starving herself in two days.

Then there was the issue of her custody to top it all off.

At first she was confident that her uncle would be given the custody but then an issue rose. Her uncle was a successful business man due to which he had to travel a lot. The court had said that her condition wasn't stable and that she could not be left alone because teenagers thought things drastically so they wanted to hand her over to someone else who would keep a 'close eye' on her and that's when they brought her mom into the picture and now, here she was, leaving Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to drive to her new life in Fircrest.

Her parents had been divorced for as long as she could remember but she never had the guts to ask her father about it. She felt as if it was a sensitive topic for him.

What she did know about current affairs was that her mother had remarried and had two step sons.

Carlisia had picked this information up as her uncle tried to make small talk with her throughout the long 16 hours flight from Sydney, Australia to Seattle.