Chapter 43

A sigh escaped Carlisia's lips as she felt a coolness on her face. A wet rag was being pressed tenderly on her cheeks then her temple.

Carlisia was disoriented as she gulped and opened her eyes. Her vision was hazy, as her hands stretched out but they were restrained, memories began to flood back and Carlisia remembered everything that had happened.

Her eyes ripped open and the first thing she saw were the restraints. Her hands were tied with silk scarves to the head board. Her breathing became ragged as she then looked at the rag pulling away from her face and then to the owner of the hand. Gabriel sat on the bed beside her, snug by her side.

Out of instinct she did the first thing that came to her mind.

She gave a blood curdling scream.

The sound of Carlisia's scream echoed through the room, sending a chill down Gabriel's spine. His face remained impassive, as if he was unfazed by her terror. He set the wet rag aside and leaned back, watching her struggle against the restraints.

It was like everything was out of focus as Carlisia twisted her hands, kicked her legs. Her eyes frantically searched the room.

They were back at his house. She was in his room, in his bed.

"Carlisia, there's no need to be afraid," he said in a dangerously calm tone.

Carlisia began to hyperventilate as she tried to push away from Gabriel.

"I just want to talk."

Gabriel said as Carlisia closed her eyes trying to calm herself, pretending that Gabriel wasn't just a mere foot away.

Tears streaked down Carlisia's temple as she kept her eyes closed. She needed her inhaler, she needed to calm down.

She was frantic, she could almost hear her blood rushing.

"Butterfly."

Carlisia sobbed as he pushed some hair off her face and Carlisia pushed as far as the restraints would let her.

"Don't touch me!"

Gabriel sighed.

"Okay, okay. No need to be agitated, just relax. Deep breaths. Do you need your inhaler?" Gabriel said as he pulled his hand away, talking to her as if she was a child.

Carlisia nodded, still looking away from him.

She felt the bed shifting as Gabriel got up followed by shuffling before he returned back to her side.

"I'm going to untie you, okay? The ties were to only restrain you in case you woke up and I wasn't there. I didn't want you to do anything rash. Okay, my butterfly?"

Carlisia took a shaky breath but nodded, she needed him to untie her.

Another sob escaped her when she felt his hand touching hers but alas the ties were off. Carlisia wasted no time to push herself upright and as far as she could before looking at Gabriel who had her inhaler in his hand.

He raised one of his hands in surrender before cautiously placing the inhaler in front of her, before settling back.

Carlisia stared at him for a moment and Gabriel gave her a reassuring nod, not that it meant much.

In a swift feline movement Carlisia grabbed the inhaler and pushed back away from him. She kept her eyes trained on him as she took a spritz, then another, her senses instantly calming even if the sense of danger didn't completely leave.

Gabriel watched her closely, a mix of emotions playing across his face. He seemed almost remorseful, yet there was an underlying intensity that couldn't be ignored.