Chapter 1: Beginning

Izuku's POV outside of chat unless I say so

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting my window.

Great.

I say up and swung my legs over the makeshift bed, letting my bare feet touch the cold ground. I made my way over to a table that had two piles of clothes on it: one for work and one for day-to-day life. I put on my work clothes, a plain black long-sleeve shirt and pants, then went to the bathroom. I made a feeble attempt at making my hair not look like a total rats nest, but it barely did anything. I washed my face and brushed my teeth next. I didn't have any food at home, so I skipped breakfast and went to the door. I could eat at work anyway. I slipped on a pair of red shoes, the only pair I wore out, and grabbed a pair of keys. I locked the door on my way out before checking the time on my phone and cursing myself for being late. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't want to be working on food when the customers showed up.

I booked it and ran full speed to the cafe I worked at, trying not to get too soaked. I managed to make it just before it started really bucketing. I changed my shoes to a pair of dry, black ones I kept at the cafe and went to the back. I skipped up the stairs and went to my boss's apartment, knocking on the door. I heard a groan and knew she wouldn't be fully awake yet, so a took out my keyring since I had a copy of her key on it. I unlocked the door and opened it, already dodging as a pillow flew past my head.

Me: Good morning to you too.

I went inside and up to the bed. I pulled the blanket off and let her feel the chill of the early morning.

Mai: Alright, I'm up. I'm up.

She sat up and went to the bathroom and I left her alone. I went back downstairs and put on an apron before I got to work on making pastries and the like. Mai wasn't the best at baking or making drinks, so I usually did that while she handled the business part. I made three different kinds of cinnamon rolls (regular, apple and chocolate), croissants, muffins, brownies and biscuits that morning. Mai had always wondered how I made so many different pastries in one morning, but that always has and always will remain my secret. Same with my recipes, I am more than willing to take those to the grave.

I was still pulling things out of ovens and placing them on display when Mai flipped the sign on the door to show that the cafe was open. After a few minutes, I heard the bell and went to greet the customers. It was an elderly couple that were regulars here. They were both very sweet and kind, and came by nearly every morning. They came to the counter and I took their orders before they got seated. They usually ordered the same thing each time, so I knew their favorites off by heart. Mai got a tray out and loaded it with their pastries while I got to work on the drinks.

Two flat whites, one with extra sugar and one with extra milk.

I was pretty sure they always got similar drinks to each other every time because they knew I'd be making them. They tried not to give me or Mai too much extra work and I found it sweet. Mai served them and more customers came in, coming to the counter so I could take their order. Our cafe was usually pretty slow and we've never had more than half the tables full at once, but we always managed to sell out of everything.

Mai herself was like a mother to me. Or maybe an aunt considering my mother... Well, I love her nonetheless, and I know she sees me as a son. If anyone asks why a minor is working at a cafe, she always helps me out by saying I'm her nephew. She knows a little about my home situation, and has been allowing me to work under her since I was seven. Of course, I always stayed in the kitchen instead of serving anyone to avoid suspicion.

When the cafe closed, I helped pack everything away before going home. I Immediately went to a desk and pulled out my laptop. It had taken me ages to save up for a laptop and I got my phone from Mai pretty soon after I started working for her since she got worried about me a lot. Anyways, I spent a few hours on it searching for files on villains or street thugs in my area. I also looked at a few other cases and saved it all on a cheap flash drive. At around 9 pm, I went to a secret compartment in the floor. There, I pulled out a black t-shirt, black pants, black sneakers, a dark red hoodie and a mask.

(Something like this)

I actually made this costume myself

I actually made this costume myself. I did buy the main parts, like the clothes and pads I wore underneath it, but I good portion is handmade. There's a beach near where I live that's absolutely covered in trash, so I grab a few things from there every once in a while. The mask has a voice filter in it so no one can recognise my voice (I sound like a broken FNaF animatronic), and is attached to the hood so it can't be taken off without either a special key or a code. I also have plenty of weapons and homemade support items. I've got knives, glitter bombs, smoke bombs, a collapsible bo staff and a couple of other things hidden all over me. I've also got a utility belt under my jumper with medical supplies and pockets for small items. All in all, I was quite happy with it.

When I finished putting my costume on, I snuck out through the window, mostly for fun, and made my way into the city. I had a specific territory and patrol route, but sometimes I veered off it a little and this was one of those times. I heard a scream coming from a few blocks away from my patrol route, and immediately went to investigate. A woman was being held at a gunpoint by a man who was obviously drunk and high. I walked into the alley and greeted the man like we were old friends.

"Hey, nice to see you."

He forgot about the woman and stumbled a little as he turned to face me. I got closer and he swung a punch to my face. I unlocked my hips to get low with my chest facing the ground and kicked up and behind me. The man's head snapped back and he stumbled more before I got up and hit a pressure point to knock him out. I then turned to the woman.

"Call the police and go home. Be safe!"

I left while saying that last bit and looked for a new thug. I found a drug deal and after stopping that, I found fourteen more incidents.

Honestly, you'd think people wouldn't be in an area with a vigilante patrolling.

Although, nobody knew my name. I made sure that only the people in my area could find my vigilante name. I didn't want to risk becoming well known and get targeted like plenty of vigilantes I know. No, the name Oleander was kept as Musutafu's secret.

Notes

Hello, welcome to the first chapter of this book. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing it and check out some of my other books as well (ngl they kinda suck tho). Also, Izuku is currently ten in this book and he is four years younger than Bakugo and the others. I don't know why I decided this, but I did so sue me. Anyway, see you next chapter!