VI. a chatterbox forced into silence, how evil!

0006

0006. | A CHATTERBOX FORCED
INTO SILENCE, HOW EVIL!

          Octavia was bored of walking.

          They had been going for hours. It was nearing the middle of the afternoon. Clarisse hadn't stopped for lunch, she had just grabbed a protein bar from her bag and eaten it, walking. Octavia took the same initiative. The protein bar tasted awful, but she swallowed the oats anyway. They stuck a bit in her throat.

         When she coughed, Clarisse ignored her which made her a bit embarrassed.

          She was unnerved by the silence for more than concern for her camaraderie with Clarisse. It was the lack of monsters that worried Octavia. Last summer, with Jackson, they had been bombarded with monsters by the time they made it to the Bus Station! The summer before that, they had suffered more monster attacks than Octavia knew possible. The twelve children of Apollo had attracted more monsters than Percy Jackson had singlehandedly. They barely arrived to Apollo's prison in tact. They were more scratched up than they had ever suffered, except Octavia.

          Maybe that was what identified her to her father when she crept by his body in chains. She was the only one unharmed, at least physically. Her healing power was practically screaming at Lord Apollo to be noticed.

          She still remembered it clear as day.

          He had been on his knees. His back was bent over his lap and his head was hung so low she couldn't see his face for his long blond hair that hung across his jaw. But it wasn't his face that let her know that it was Lord Apollo imprisoned in chains. It was everything about him.

          He glowed like the sun he carried. He was golden and bronze and silver, like a molten statue, divine even on his knees. He was the first God she ever saw with her own two eyes. It was her father with the same yellow hair as her, though his was whiter and lighter, and the same golden tanned skin. He had a thin jaw, almost like a girl, and his cheekbones too that kept his long hair out of his eyes. That was how he saw her.

          She had been creeping along, silent as anything. But he was a God, and a God hears all.

          'Eleni...' He had whispered. She would have thought he was saying a prayer if it weren't for his godhood, or the fact that his blue eyes, brighter than jewels, were watching her.

          She had told him her name was Octavia, not Ellen.

          He had laughed and the sound was like music. It wasn't charms nor bells, it was a violin and a piano, something delicate but strong. It was a vibrating sound that almost drew the attention of the cyclops guarding the cages of her caught siblings. 'I know who you are, daughter of mine.' He had said. She remembered his voice had sounded exactly like the violin charm of his laugh. She remembered the swelling in her chest, the elation in her heart when he named her his. She felt seen. A silly mistake, given she was hiding, but he made it not matter. 'I would know you anywhere. Even in this darkness...'