XIII. thirteenth birthday parties are unlucky

0013

0013. | THIRTEENTH BIRTHDAY
PARTIES ARE UNLUCKY

When Jackson returned to Camp, Chiron permitted them to burn their burial shrouds.

The last time Octavia had burned her burial shroud, she had cried in front of the entire Camp when the sequins over the sunburst caught flame. This time, she was grinning like an idiot (even if Jackson was still there). This time, it was better. She had done better! She was finally a real hero and she had earned that right, not even Jackson could take that away from her. She had proven him wrong. She had proven any doubters wrong. She had earned everything this time. Nothing could distract her from her high.

Camp tradition said that the four of them had to wear golden laurels to a massive feast organised in their honour, and to celebrate Grover finally getting his brand new searcher's license. Grover, like the other three, was absolutely on top of the world and he wanted to celebrate as was understandable for his new position. Everyone at Camp was ready for a party. They had waited all week for the heroes' return and for the celebrations which duly followed. Their last mass celebration had been Luke's return from his quest.

          However, other considerations had to be taken, like Octavia's thirteenth birthday which dictated that all the attention had to be on her, instead.

Castor and Pollux, the only children of Dionysus at Camp, had apparently helped her siblings organise the party. They had been on it all morning, but the invitations had been released a month in advance by Michael Yew so no one could build an excuse for not coming. Everyone was invited, and most importantly, Travis Stoll was coming! (Least importantly, so was Percy Jackson...)

The party was originally planned to be in Cabin Seven, but when Pollux had finalised the guest list, the only possible hosting spot they could find was the amphitheatre. Chiron had, of course, given permission for the event, given how happy everyone was, and how relieved he was himself for the return of his questing heroes. Even Mr D was showing a pride that only the centaur could recognise. Heroes returning from their real-world quests was rare, as last summer had morbidly reminded everyone. Chiron and Dionysus were always brightened to see their children returning to Camp, even if the latter was more subtle about gleeful displays.

Charles Beckendorf from the Hephaestus Cabin had helped Argus set up the bonfire at the centre of the theatre. Castor and Pollux had bartered with the Harpies for the refreshment table and some of the Athena Cabin had helped design the decorations. The overall party was a triumph.

Everyone was there and that was all that Octavia cared about.

People hadn't stopped coming up to her all night to wish her a happy birthday and then to ask about the quest and how she had survived Hades. With Luke's watchful eyes never straying too far from her, she didn't say anything other than her rehearsed lines. Everyone was absolutely enthralled and she hoped they were passing the information onto Travis Stoll.