I. homecoming was never so unwelcoming

0001

0001. | HOMECOMING WAS
NEVER SO UNWELCOMING

          The school year would have been lonely for Percy if it hadn't been for Tyson.

          Tyson was his new friend he had made in the absence of Grover, Annabeth, and Octavia. He hadn't seen them at all since last summer when Grover had left in his pursuit to find Pan, and Annabeth had gone home to Virginia with her dad and his new family, and Octavia had stayed at Camp, practicing to become a hero. Tyson wasn't a great replacement, nothing could replace those friends, but he was nice enough and didn't judge him, which he liked. Percy didn't often make friends. Other than at Camp, Percy had never made a real friend in his life.

           That was why his dreams of Grover, although strange, were a slight comfort to him. He was glad to have at least some contact with his best friend, even if Grover couldn't see him.

          Chiron had told him that demigod dreams always had meaning. Last summer, his dreams about that voice in the pit of Tartarus had foreshadowed the beginning of a war he didn't even know was happening. Kronos was rising, and Luke Castellan had betrayed the Camp by joining the Titan in hatred against the Gods.

           Percy didn't like to remember how Luke had tried to kill him. It made his blood boil. All he had wanted for months was to hunt him down and make him pay, not just for his attempted murder, but also for what he had left behind. One of Percy's last memories of Octavia was her bloodshot, teary eyes blurring in his vision when she saved his life. Luke had offered her to join him against the Gods and she had denied him so that she could save Percy's life. Percy didn't think he knew anyone more courageous than her.

            (Annoyingly, the saying was correct, and absence had made his heart grow fonder. He couldn't wait to get back to Camp and see her. He hoped she wasn't mad at him anymore.)

           Knowing that demigod dreams always had meaning scared Percy more than he cared to admit after waking up that morning. He had dreamt last night of Grover. It was a crazy, wacky dream of Grover hiding in a wedding dress shop from a monster. He wasn't sure what it was about, all he knew was that he wanted to find him and help him. Unfortunately, as his mom had reminded him, he had to get through his last day of school first.

           "Percy, are you all right?" His mom asked.

          He had been eating the breakfast she had made him, blue dyed waffles which tasted great, but he realised in his thoughts of his friends, he had stopped eating. He frowned. "Yeah... fine."

          She gave him a knowing look and he wondered if she knew something about Grover and the wedding dresses.

          She tilted her head at him. "Is it about Octavia—?"