X. Stretched, distressed, not wholly far-fetched

0010

0010. | STRETCHED, DISTRESSED,
NOT WHOLLY FAR-FETCHED

With some spare change Octavia found among the Oreo crumbs at the bottom of Ares' backpack, they took a bus.

Grover said that they were heading into West Hollywood, though Octavia would have had no clue of that herself. Her only sense of direction now was earned from the fact that Annabeth had given her the window seat on the bus.

Octavia was hardly good with navigation, that was a talent of the Hunters of Artemis. Because of Octavia's alignment with the sun as a daughter of Apollo, she was good at telling the time without a watch, but that was about it. Lady Artemis taught all of her Hunters how to navigate by the stars. Unfortunately Octavia had yet to be under her supervision long enough to learn. She had hardly ever seen Lady Artemis, but her aunt had always been especially kind and gentle with her, especially after she had met her after her quest.

"This is our stop." Annabeth elbowed her.

Silently, Octavia followed Annie out of their seat, behind Percy and Grover who were already leading the way off the bus.

Her mind was moving too fast for her to speak. She had really hoped that Annabeth might have told her her theory of who stole the Bolt. Annabeth had clearly got onto her idea of Hades not being the real culprit, but the aching feeling that they would never know was making creases in Octavia's brain. She wanted to know. She couldn't help but feel like they were walking into a trap. But without any greater clue, what else could they do?

Emergency service vehicles wizzed past them as they walked.

Percy's cold hand nipped her elbow and dragged her behind him into the alley.

The blue lights illuminated the space on the sidewalk where they had just been stood. Percy had grabbed her just in time.

It seemed that her thoughts had distracted her so much she had almost got them caught. Her cheeks flushed brightly and she yanked her elbow free of Percy's hand that hadn't immediately let her go.

Annabeth sent her a curious look which she ignored. If she looked at her, she would only confirm to Annabeth the embarrassment she felt for being so foolish.

She couldn't afford such silly mistakes when they were so close to the Solstice. They were already behind their plan because they had been idiots in the Lotus Casino. She didn't want to waste time thinking anymore, she just wanted to do something.

"Come on." Grover ushered them and Octavia spurted out of the alley, trying to prove to them how determined she was to stay on track.

She didn't last long, though.

Percy had stopped in front of her, frozen. She slammed into his back, kicking down the backs of his shoes.

           She hadn't expected him to have stopped so suddenly.