III. a shoddy friend but her shots aren't shabby

0003

0003. | A SHODDY FRIEND BUT
HER SHOTS AREN'T SHABBY

          "Again!"

          Octavia grunted, getting up off of the floor. She snatched her wooden sword off the sandy arena ground and adjusted her grip. Her and Luke had been at sword practice for hours, and the time showed on both their faces. They had begun to tire, sweat drenching their faces and Camp t-shirts. Luke was frustrated already because of the sword fighting class he had taught that morning. Apparently Percy had found his talent, not in archery or wrestling, or spear throwing, but in sword-fighting. He had even disarmed Luke, which to Luke's credit, was met with praise, but Octavia knew it would have been a blow to his ego. She and Luke were similar that way.

           "Seriously, Iyah?" Luke huffed. "We've got Capture the Flag after dinner. You're not going to have any energy if we keep this up." He wiped the back of his arm across his forehead. "We can try again in the morning."

          "But I'm ready now!" She insisted. "See?" She showed him her sword grip that he had taught her. "I can get this!"

          He gave her a tired look. "We've been at this for hours, if you haven't got it yet, maybe you never will."

          Octavia glowered at him. Her scowl showed her betrayal at his words. "You're the one who always says I can do anything, so let me do this." She huffed. "I can do it."

          She was right. Luke always encouraged her in everything. When she had first been called an 'egotistical narcissist with an attitude problem', Luke had been the first to her defence, calling Malcolm an 'Athenian blowhard with too many problems of your own to be bullying a ten year old'. He had made Malcolm cry. Luke had always been her greatest supporter when it came to how hard she worked. He knew she wanted to be a great hero, because he wanted that for himself too. They both wanted to be remembered, so she couldn't believe he was letting Capture the Flag get in the way of teaching her how to better herself.

          "What if one day this move could save my life?" She pushed him. In Luke's defence, she hardly thought that this move could save her life. Mostly, it was an aesthetic ambition. The move looked cool so Octavia wanted to learn it. If it saved her life, that would also be good.

          Luke sighed. "Fine." He relented. Octavia fist pumped the air. "One more try." He said pointedly.

          "Three more tries, that's all I need." She grinned. Octavia kidded herself that she was amazing at bartering. The reality was, she was only good at bartering with Annabeth because Annabeth's pride was too great to risk getting the short stick. Luke never bartered with her.

          "One. I said one." Luke tried to sound stern but it didn't really suit him and he knew that.

          "Two!" Octavia's grin grew. She was close to winning, she could tell. She always won with Luke.