I. when perfection is destined, there is only one

0001

0001. | WHEN PERFECTION IS
DESTINED, THERE IS ONLY ONE

Octavia Mason was a perfectionist.

She had learned from a young age that if she wanted something done right, she had to do it herself. Her lucky talent was that she tended to excel at everything she put effort into. She refused to be a failure, and even that in which she did not succeed, she practiced until she did. There was no medicine she could not administer, no target she could not shoot, no dummy she could not slice, and no song she could not sing. She was a jack of all trades, and master of them too. She had an ego higher than the sun, and hair just as bright.

She was the perfect demigod, the perfect hero.

Despite her age, Octavia had an ambitious mind as well as her great ego. Chiron warned her that it was a dangerous combination, but when Octavia saw how greatly she was admired at Camp Half-Blood, she couldn't possibly see how that was a bad thing. She was Head Counsellor of Apollo's Cabin for a reason, despite having plenty of older siblings. She had earned it through her quest, though she had only been on one, because of the consequences she had wrought with her victory. She had saved the great god Apollo from imprisonment.

There was no one who would ever deny Octavia's bravery, not even the gods.

Octavia's victorious quest had not only made her a fan favourite in Camp, as Annabeth had so helpfully gossiped, but also in the Olympian Throne Room. There were rumours she had even gained the praise of King Zeus himself, though Octavia had never heard this praise from him herself. It was merely a rumour.

A glorious rumour which sparked her ambition to be a hero. To earn King Zeus' respect, that was the goal. Octavia had spent years listening to and reading about the old heroes from the myths. Perseus, Odysseus, Heracles, Theseus, Achilles... Not once was there a demigod hero who was a girl, let alone one so great as to earn the respect of the King of the Gods. Octavia wanted that. Since she had no role model, she would set the example. She would be the first.

Octavia had been called a narcissist before, but she didn't believe those claims. She knew there were some people, jealous people, who would rather her be a quivering, insecure mess rather than the confident girl she was. She found it ridiculous that people found insecurity more becoming in a girl than confidence. Again, she set the example. She never let her confidence knock. To her credit, Octavia's ego was also great enough that she didn't let these titles of narcissist get to her, instead she let them fuel her. If she was anything beside egotistical, she was competitive to a fault.

She was competitive with even the most mundane of things for a demigod, like wanting to be the fastest to cure a poisoned cut, or shooting the arrow closest to the bullseye, or singing a song in harmony, not drone. She was often the one to dare the victory of a footrace against her peers. Annabeth was the only one who was as prideful as her to take her up on it every single time.