V. not everything is as it seems, nor everyone

0005

0005. | NOT EVERYTHING IS
AS IT SEEMS, NOR EVERYONE

          They ran for a mile before Annabeth called them to stop. She must have seen the gruesome display of Octavia's arm. Octavia couldn't keep going with her arm in the state as it was, and her dislocated elbow was becoming more than agonising when it was trying to heal whilst still unset.

                  When they stopped, Grover leaned against a tree to gather his breath and Octavia copied his initiative.

          She braced herself against another tree and measured up her arm to the right place. She gritted her teeth and thwacked her arm against the hard base of the tree before she could come to her senses and change her mind. She grunted. Her elbow popped back into place.

          "Urgh!" Percy cringed. Octavia hadn't realised she had an audience. "Oh, my gods, what're you doing?"

          Octavia ignored him and flexed her elbow, testing its mobility. She was fine. Even as she was inspecting her arm, the muscle-deep lacerations that Alecto had inflicted were closing up and healing over as if they had never been there. Her arm, now healed, remained stained with the streaks of her black blood. She had once bled red, but now she bled black, burned by the sun. It looked like she had rolled in mud, not bled.

           "What the—?" Percy's sea green eyes stared at her. "How did you do that?"

          Octavia sighed and rubbed her arm to itch the tingling sensation left by the healing. The dried blood scratched off and dirtied under her fingernails. "Apollo is the god of healing." She said. "I inherited that ability. I heal." She murmured. "That's my power. You get hydrokinesis and extreme endurance, and I have the ability to heal a paper cut."

          "That was more than a paper cut." He pointed out. "You could have bled to death."

          "Don't sound too disappointed." She retorted.

          Percy's face turned red. "That's not what I meant!"

          She snorted her usual ugly snort of laughter. "I know, Perce, I was joking." She said. She tried her best to hide the fact that she was a bit miffed that he didn't find her funny.

          He didn't look amused, only flustered which Octavia found quite boring. Annabeth would have laughed. "Perce?" He repeated.

          She frowned. "Yeah." She said, not understanding the question. "What?"

          Percy looked like he was going to smile but hid it. "Nothing."

          She blinked, confused, but let it go. She glanced around, trying to find Annabeth to check she was alright. Annabeth was stood next to Grover, also getting her breath back.