CHAPTER 36 - KEEP GUESSING

The sounds of gibberish from the surroundings seem distant, like people talking underwater, but eventually, they become clear and closer as Chaeyoung slowly regains consciousness. He presses his eyes tightly, trying to wash away the lingering dizziness.

"Chaeng..." a man's voice echoes in his ears. Chaeyoung swallows bitterly and tries to sit up properly, but the man holds him, helping him onto the sofa.

"Hey, are you okay?" the man asks, his voice tinged with nervousness as he hesitantly inquires, "Do you remember me?" He licks his dry lips, his breath heavier as he waits for Chaeyoung's answer.

Chaeyoung looks at the man with confusion, then glances at Sana standing nearby, and then at Mina and Tzuyu sitting on the sofa across from him. His brows furrow and his eyes squint as he takes in the two other unfamiliar women standing nearby.

Feeling the dizziness returning, he presses the corners of his eyes. "I'm sorry... but who are you, actually? And," he pauses, taking a deep breath, "why did you punch me just now?" he cluelessly asks the man.

Jeongyeon's heart sinks in disbelief, but he manages to paint a forced smile. "I'm Jeongyeon," he utters in a soft tone. "That's Nayeon, my wife, and... that's Jihyo," he pauses, trying to suppress his cracks. "Chaeng, we are your friends, and I'm really sorry that I punched you. But Sana and Tzuyu already told us what happened. It's all just a misunderstanding," he heavily sighs while placing his palm on Chaeyoung's shoulder.

"Jeongyeon?" Chaeyoung questions. "Jeongyeon... Jeongyeon... Jeongyeon??" he mumbles Jeongyeon's name as his fingers press between his lips, his brows furrowing as he tries to remember something. For a moment, he makes everyone's heart pound hard. He stares at Jeongyeon again. "Oh my gosh, Yoo Jeongyeon...?" he utters his full name out of nowhere, causing everyone to drop their jaws.

"Yaa, do you remember me?" Jeongyeon asks desperately, his eyes filled with hope.

"I think I do remember you... Yoo Jeongyeon... wait," Chaeyoung presses his eyes shut and massages his dizzy temple, making others curious and concerned.

"Chaeng... don't force yourself if you can't," Sana says as she takes a seat beside him.

Chaeyoung cracks, and unknowingly tears stream down his cheeks. "No... no, I'm fine," he sternly replies, his breath heavier and his eyes welling up. "Yoo Jeongyeon, I remember you... years ago... we went to JYP University together and did we use lived together??... we've been friends since then...Am I right?"

"Chaeng?? You really remember me?" Jeongyeon couldn't hold back his tears and mirrors Chaeyoung as they both crack.

"I...I do...but I can't really recall everything" Chaeyoung's breath grows heavier, his voice almost whispers the last words.

Jeongyeon's breath hitches. In a swift motion, he pulls Chaeyoung into a buddy hug. "Chaeng... I'm sorry," he mumbles between cracks.

Others, on the other hand, feel goosebumps as Chaeyoung remembers Jeongyeon. It's so unexpected that Chaeyoung recalls Jeongyeon as his friend, making their tears burst forth.

Meanwhile, Mina clenches her nails to her chest. It's a relief that Chaeyoung's past memories still linger, but what worries her is the possibility that Chaeyoung could regain their memories together. She doesn't know how to face Chaeyoung if he remembers everything. Just imagining it is enough to make her feel breathless.

"Chaeng, should I throw you a punch too to make you remember me?" Tzuyu scoff, his playfulness evident though deep inside, he also cracks.

"Idiot," Jihyo let our a small laugh while slaps Tzuyu's shoulder before wiping her tears away.