Chapter 17: Consequences

"What the fuck did you just make me do?" Screamed Vegas into the alleyway with his leftover voice. "Are you out of your fucking mind?"

 The figure in front of him - karma or curse Vegas wasn't sure anymore - was looking like every bit of the evil man he made Vegas feel like.

 Pete smirked at Vegas' shocked state and just as he would've stepped closer to him a loud crack echoed through the area followed by big gulps of rain pounding down the street and on their skin: July hit them in the face.

 They weren't particularly bothered by it, Vegas still couldn't snap out of this phase Pete put him in, and Pete knew no matter how panicked Vegas seemed he wasn't that panic-stricken as he set it.

 He kept mumbling something under his nose but it didn't reach Pete's ears. Vegas' hair was not only wet but disheveled as well, his breath kept getting stuck in his throat.

 "Can you pull yourself together already?" Pete shouted, frustrated with the play. "It's not like you haven't killed before," he added, much less venomous.

 It was ridiculous. Vegas couldn't get so worked up just because of a kill. Unless...

 Vegas finally focused on him, in the blink of an eye, shock and panic were gone, as if they had never existed. "You don't know what you have done."

 The words settled heavily between them, yet Pete refused to take the weight.

 He walked to Vegas, stopping only a few inches away from him. His hand smoothed over Vegas' jacket, up his shoulders, and finally settled on his face. As softly as possible he caressed over his cheekbones, soothing. Vegas' eyes followed his every movement, but Pete refused to look him in the eye until he was done with his path.

 "I didn't do anything, Vegas," Pete whispered and although it wasn't comforting, Vegas' heart still found its normal rhythm again. "It was all you."

 After minutes of standing in the same place, drenched in rain and desperation, Pete let go of Vegas, leaving him behind with the actions he provoked, and the consequences of killing.

-

 Days passed after the incident and Vegas couldn't feel more empty. His mind started to loathe Pete even more than he did when he ran away. Back then, it passed because it was simple resentment. Now, it was so much more.

 It was hate mixed with anger and failure.

 His father was asking the same question the hundredth time going back and forth between the walls of his office. Vegas already took some blows when he told him the reason behind his visit but Gun was in disbelief.

 "So what now? Will you kill all of our business partner's sons because of a difference of opinion?"

 It was a shitty excuse yes, even Vegas could admit that but he had no other explanation as to what had happened. He chose to stay quiet and let Gun's voice fill the space once more. How his father's vocal cords were still functioning properly after half an hour of screaming was still a miracle, but again, he always knew that Gun was inhuman.

 "I take full responsibility, Father," Vegas said, voice low, still trying to find the courage to speak up. But frankly, he just wanted to get away so if he had to endure another hit then so be it.

 "Responsibility, my foot!" Gun raised his voice even higher, grabbing the landline phone on his desk and throwing it at Vegas with full force. His nose would have been broken if he hadn't had quick reflexes.

 "You keep your mouth shut while I sort this out," Gun pointed a threatening finger at him for good measure. "Leave."

 Vegas bowed and walked to the door, but before he could pass through, his father's voice reached his ears once again.