Chapter 8: I See You, Darling

"I see you, darling"

 An awfully familiar voice spoke on the handset. The shock wasn't the only thing he was feeling, but it was definitely the strongest emotion. He didn't anticipate this. He's been gone for less than two days, yet here he is, listening to the minor family heir's breath.

 Vegas chuckled, probably having heard his gasp after the sentence. Before he resumed speaking, a flicker was heard, as if he had lit a cigarette.

 "I see you're a little confused right now, but there's no need to think too much," Vegas promised, voice like his silk shirts - smooth and soft. Like he was soothing a scared animal. "If you just come back to me, I promise you won't be hurt... too much"

 The last words were just above a whisper and if Pete's senses weren't only focused on the danger he might not have heard it. The promise wasn't so inviting, plus it made Pete more confused. Why would Vegas want him back? Okay, true they were supposed to marry, but he didn't think Vegas would care so much. He knew he didn't necessarily want to marry Pete, so why didn't he take his chance at freedom and live with it?

 So instead of asking the obvious question, he twisted it around.

 "Why did you find me?" Vegas made a little noise of surprise, and hearing the next words, Pete knew he was having a smug smile on his face.

 "I was asked, darling." Vegas exhaled a cloud of smoke before continuing. "No 'how did you find me' or 'what do you want'?"

 "No," Pete answered bluntly.

 "Pete, Pete, Pete." Vegas hummed. "Straight to the point as always." A laugh - the one you hear on the TV when a psychotic serial killer is about to capture his next victim - echoed in Pete's ear. "Now that you're done with your question, why don't we play a little game?"

 The booth was growing more and more narrow as Vegas spoke. Pete felt like an invisible hand was clutching his neck and making his vision blurry. Like he was truly captured in Vegas' trap.

 He knew if he agreed to the game - he'd lose. But also, did he even have a choice? Vegas never gave him one. He only told him he was his and that's it. Come to think of it, he never really had a chance to make a decision for himself. His father took away every decision he could've made and kept those to himself. He kind of did grow used to it, maybe that's why he hadn't really complained.

 But now that Somsak even took away his choice to marry, it made him realize how much he truly has lost.

 "I don't play games"

 "Oh, come on, Pete, you're no fun!" Regardless, Vegas must have had fun. "Let me tell you the rules"

 Yeah, Pete was right. Vegas doesn't give him anything he only takes and takes and takes. And when Vegas started to list the rules it was impossible for Pete to just listen.

 "When I come to get you, you don't resist."

 No. "You won't find me"

 "You'll be kneeling before me because you belong to me."

 No. "I don't belong to you"

 "And when I marry you, you'll kiss me so obediently, won't you?"

 "No!"

 Vegas' harsh laugh echoed in Pete's ears, like a bell. It wasn't even a game he was describing. It was a vision he dreamed about. Pete was sure. But he won't get him. He won't worship him like the other toys he tossed away. He won't obey him, he won't marry him. He-

 "I love it when you try to resist me."

 "This can hardly be called a game, Vegas!" Pete raised his voice, feeling irritation itching through his skin.