Chapter 19: Together Forever

The thick green arm coming out of her mouth grasped onto her head and crushed it while everyone watched in horror.

Nezuko dropped her sword, the light gone from her eyes; Tamayo watched with wide eyes and sweat dripping down her face while Yushiro simply turned his head away with his eyes shut and Tanjiro just stared, his eyes wide.

All that remained of Susamaru now was her mutilated corpse in a pool of blood, her limbs torn from her body and spread out with her clothing in a small pike in the centre of the pool of blood. A single eyeball rolled around on the ground.

Yushiro approached the eyeball,  kneeling down in front of it. She stared at the cat-like pupil and white horizontal slat.

"Is she dead?" Nezuko asked, looking over at Yushiro while laying on the ground on her stomach.

"She will be soon. It's the curse. Ubuyashiki's cells remain in the body to destroy the flesh," Yushiro replied. "Basically, fighting between demons is meaningless. It is impossible to strike a fatal blow unless it's done by sunlight or the katana of a demon slayer. However, Ubuyashiki can destroy a demon's cells."

As Yushiro finished explaining, Tamayo suddenly stood next to Nezuko, cloth in hand, which she used to cover Nezuko's mouth and nose.

"Don't fall prey to my power, or you'll die too!" Said Tamayo.

"Nezuko.. she's not one of the Twelve Kizuki," said Yushiro. Nezuko's eyes felt like they were about to burst out her sockets. "The numbers of the Twelve Kizuki are engraved on their eyeballs. Her eyes are not marked," he pointed to the eyeball. "The other one is not in the Twelve Kizuki either. He was too weak."

Too weak?! Seriously? Nezuko thought, watching as Yushiro got out a syringe and extracted blood from a lump of flesh atop of Susamaru's clothing.

"I have the blood," said Yushiro, placing the syringe in a small rectangular box and closing it. "I will tend to Tanjiro. Unfortunately, on top of treating his wounds, I also allowed him to inhale some of Tamayo's spell. I'm sorry."

"What dumb demons. Serves them right for threatening Yushiro-Sama," said Tamayo before suddenly yelling at Nezuko. "Enough already! You hold your own cloth! I don't want to be away from Yushiro-Sama! Not even for a moment!"

Tamayo then stormed off after Yushiro and Tanjiro while Nezuko lay on the ground, covering her mouth and nose with the cloth.

As she did so, she could hear a faint voice where Susamaru's limbs and clothing were, saying, "Ma.. ri.. ma.. ri.."

Nezuko looked over there sadly, beginning to crawl over to the blood splatter and Susamaru's limbs and clothing.

She sat up and rolled over a temari in front of the blood splatter. "Here's a mari," she said, her voice slightly muffled due to the cloth covering her mouth and nose.

"Let's.. play.. pl.." whispered what was left of Susamaru softly.

Nezuko didn't respond. She took the cloth off of her mouth. She's like a small child. But she's killed so many people.

The sun began to rise, and the remains of Susamaru crumbled away to nothing, so only her clothing remained.

She was fooled into believing she was one of the Twelve Kizuki and forced to fight, and then Ubuyashiki's curse killed her. There was no hope for her. After dying, even her bones disappeared without a trace. Is that the price for taking human life? Ubuyashiki.. he mistreats even those who admire him. He is understandably a true demon.

"Yushiro.." Said Nezuko as she limped over to the large hole in the house.

"This way. Underground," replied a voice  behind a black door.