Chapter 1: Cruelty

"Nezuko!" Nezuko's mother, Kie, called just as Nezuko was about to set off to go sell charcoal. "Your face is pitch-black. Come here."

Nezuko headed over to her mother, waiting patiently as she wiped the dirt from her face.

"You don't have to go. It's snowing, and it's dangerous." Kie said, clearly worried given the snowy weather.

"Tanjiro's ill so he can't go down the mountain to sell charcoal today, and I want us to have a great New Year's feast, so I'll go sell as much charcoal as I can instead. Even if it's just a little." Nezuko replied. New Year's was approaching, and she wanted her and her family to have a great feast for it. So she intended to go and sell as much charcoal as possible so it would be possible.

Kie smiled softly as she wiped the rest of the dirt off Nezuko's face with a cloth. "Thank you."

Suddenly, two of Nezuko's younger siblings, Shigeru and Hanako, came rushing towards her and Kie. They must've overheard their conversation.

"Nezuko, are you going into town again today?"

"I wanna go too!"

"WHAAAA?!" Another one of Nezuko's younger siblings, Takeo, shouted. He was just walking by, holding an axe, and must've heard the commotion.

Kie held Shigeru and Hanako by their shoulders, speaking calmly. "No. You can't walk fast like Nezuko."

"But Mom!"

"No."

"She isn't taking the cart today, so she can't pull you when you're tired." Kie said, her breath coming out as cold puffs of air.

As Shigeru hugged Nezuko tightly and Hanako continued whining about how she wanted to go with her, Nezuko looked over to Takeo and said, "Takeo, I know you can't do a lot, but cut a little wood today. Okay?"

Takeo still looked irritated and grumbled, "I will, but.. I was hoping we'd do it together."

Nezuko then set off, waving as her mother, Takeo, Hanako, and Shigeru waved back.

"Be careful!"

"Hurry back, okay?"

As Nezuko walked off, she heard someone calling her name. It was her brother, Tanjiro. His hair was tied up in its usual ponytail, and he had a blanket covering him, too. On his back was Nezuko's youngest sibling, Rokuta, who was asleep.

"Tanjiro.." Nezuko said as she stopped in front of them.

"I was putting Rokuta to sleep, but I heard all the commotion." He said as Nezuko gently stroked Rokuta's bowl-cut hair.

"They've been so lonely since Father died, so they've started clinging to you." Nezuko said before continuing to walk.

"See you later!" Tanjiro called as she headed down the mountain.

Life for the Kamado family wasn't easy, but they were happy. But life is like the weather.. it's always changing. It won't always be easy, and the snow won't always keep falling. When happiness ends, there's always.. the smell of blood in the air.

....

Nezuko had finally arrived at the foot of the mountain. The snow was still falling, and the atmosphere was becoming more and more cold, but she had to sell as much charcoal as possible if she wanted her family to have a feast for New Year's.

"Oh, Nezuko!" A middle-aged woman holding a broom said as she noticed Nezuko enter the town with the basket filled with charcoal on her back. She'd come down in place of Tanjiro before many times, so the townspeople were also familiar with Nezuko as well as her big brother. Many of the other townspeople had also noticed Nezuko arrive, too, as they all came out of their houses to greet her.