Chapter 15: The Doctor's Opinion

"Listen! What I'm trying to say isn't about money! What I can't accept is that you won't eat my udon!" Yelled Toyo, the bald udon cart vendor who usually kept his eyes closed. He was currently yelling at Tanjiro for not eating his udon, which he was clearly very passionate about. "First, take out that bamboo gag! What's that even for?! Is it a chopstick case?!"

Nezuko suddenly grabbed the chopsticks in Toyo's hand, using them to slurp down the udon. She then shouldered Tanjiro's wooden box and shouted, "Thanks for the meal!! It was delicious!!"

"As long as you get that, fine! Come again!" Shouted Toyo back.

....

"Sorry to leave you alone, Tanjiro," said Nezuko as her and Tanjiro walked together, holding hands. Tanjiro suddenly stopped, an angry expression on his face. "Oh!" She exclaimed before noticing the same woman with the purple, pupiless eyes from earlier stood staring at them. "Ah. Were you waiting for me? I could've followed the scent, but.."

"We're under a concealment spell, so there's no way you could trace us," the woman replied bluntly. "Besides, isn't he a demon? What's more, he's an eyesore."

Eyesore.. eyesore? Does she mean ugly? Who? Tanjiro?

"He's not ugly!! Take a look at those features!  Tanjiro was the pride of their town! Our Tanjiro!" Nezuko shouted, absolutely appalled to hear this woman call her big brother ugly.

"Let's go," said the woman, beginning to walk off. Nezuko and Tanjiro followed.

"Okay, but calling him an eyesore is way out of line! Look at him someplace with better light! Like over there!" Nezuko continued to shout.. and did so the whole journey.

....

The woman, Nezuko, and Tanjiro had arrived at the house, which was hidden behind a wall in an alleyway. Nezuko had been yelling at the woman the whole time they'd been walking.

"We're back," said the woman as they walked inside while Nezuko continued to shout.

"Maybe it's because of this muzzle! Look at him again after I take this out!" Nezuko shouted as they entered the room. Inside was the man from earlier, wearing an apron over his clothing. He also sat on a chair beside a bed, which had the woman who'd been attacked by her demon earlier that night laying inside.

"Welcome back," said the man, his tone as calm as it was when Nezuko first encountered him.

"Oh! Are they alright?" Asked Nezuko, no longer yelling. "Sorry to leave them just to you."

"This woman will be alright," replied the man, feeling the woman's forehead. "But her husband.. it's unfortunate, but we must confine him to an underground cell."

"Isn't it hard for you to treat people's wounds?" Questioned Nezuko, and the woman whacked her in the chest.

"Are you suggesting the smell of flesh as we treat humans make us drool?" Said the woman, scowling at her.

"Enough. Why are you being so violent?" said the man, standing up. "I did not tell you my name. My name is Yushiro. This girl is Tamayo. Please try to get along."

That won't be easy. Nezuko thought, looking at Tamayo's furious expression. Or maybe impossible!

Yushiro placed a hand on his chest, "It isn't hard. I think it's considerably easier than for normal demons. I.. I have altered my body and removed Ubuyashiki's curse."

Curse? Nezuko thought. "Altered your body?" She then asked.

"I no longer need to feed upon people in order to survive," said Yushiro, taking off his apron as they entered a separate room from where the woman was resting. "It is enough to drink just a little human blood."