12

T

T.H.

"You have to let me on this!" I say firmly to Unc He folds his arms and looks at me coolly. "I don't have to do anything"

I scoffed "It was one time! The only time I've been shot in the past year and now I'm being benched cause I sewed myself up??"

"It's not about you stitching yourself up. You ignored protocol. You know you are to report any injuries so that I don't send somebody out into the field that is at risk! You know that and that's why you didn't tell me! I won't allow any of you to put yourself at risk."

We had a stare down for about 60 seconds. "If I promise from now on I'll inform you of any injuries can you reassign me to my mission?" I negotiated.

He looked as if he was thinking on it and I rolled my eyes. "I'll go on the mission anyway and you know I will because I've done it before." I stood my ground with an eyebrow raised.

The assistant's eyes widened at my boldness. If I was anybody else I'd probably be in trouble or dead for testing him but I wasn't anybody else.

He chuckled and shook his head while looking at me. "What am I going to do with you"

I smirked and shrugged "Put me back on my mission."

The older man grinned "Fine. But if it happens again that intel job will be thrown your way sooner than you think" he spoke seriously pointing at me. I nodded agreeing. "Okay"

He checked his watch. "Let's head to the briefing room. We've got an hour before night fall" Nodding we headed to the conference room. I stood next to Regina by the cork board. She was shaking her head with a smile on her face "Did you have to threaten to go anyway?"

I snorted "Of course I did"

"Alright everyone listen up. This is our last briefing of this being that you all will be on go in approximately one hour so any questions you have need to be brief but asked now. As you all know the target is 25 year old Marcus Simpson. He is the illegitimate son of big time investor Michael Brooks. Marcus is a hacker. Very good at what he does but not good enough. Father dearest cut him off and now he is upset and knows some information he shouldn't. Marcus has a meeting with a journalist tomorrow from the Washington Post to spill said information. He is a liability that needs to be neutralized."

I watched as everyone around the room actively listened.

"A Team of course will be lead by T.J. get to that computer and get the drive. B Team will be lead by Kennedy. You've been briefed on his daily schedule. Bring him in I want him alive!" He spoke sternly.

Everyone in the room nodded. "Good! Go suit up"

Filing out everyone headed to the armory. Unc stopped Regina and I before we could leave out. "Even if one of you have to stray off I need that boy alive understood" The look on his face made me raise a brow. "He's collateral?" I asked.

He nodded "Yes. If one of them so much as scratch him too deeply get him back here and to the infirmary" I snorted and gave him my word before we left out.

After doing testing and making sure everyone was set we rolled out. Regina kept glancing at me as she drove. "Girl what?" I mugged. "Bitch I'm so sick of your mean ass! Anyway I heard you took Tay on a date last week"

"Tay?" I asked amused. "Yes! That's my sister in law! Helicopter ride huh?" I shook my head looking out the window to hide my smile.

She gasped "oh my GOD! You're all the way sprung!" I glared at her "I am not!"

"Whatever you sayyyyy" She sung. "Shut up and turn the lights off we're about to pull in"

I went onto the mic letting the other car know to turn off their lights. Pulling up on the side of the road I seen the backroad to a big house behind the trees. I hummed "Hmm big house for an illegitimate. Usually they leave them for dead." Gina snickered and we got out. "Alright my crew we're taking the side entrance. Kennedy's crew wait until the signal. Make sure your cams are on let's get it done."

After that it seemed like everything started to move fast. Moving to the side I peeked through the windows before picking the lock. 3 of us went to the upper level with the other 4 cleared  downstairs. "Sir what we looking for?" I said quietly.

His deep voice barreled into the coms "a silver flash drive. It has a sword emblem engraved in it."

Checking my time we had 10 minutes to find that drive and get out of here before he arrived so B team could grab him. Splitting up we each searched the three rooms. Looking through boxes I found the flash drive.

"We've got company and unless he's a 10 man army with heavy machinery that's definitely not him" Kennedy said through the coms. I looked at my watch seeing we had 5 minutes left. "Everybody clear out. Now!" Unc said through the coms. Putting everything in place we quickly moved out through the back, swiftly moved through the woods, and headed back to HQ.

Bursting into the conference room I immediately started thinking aloud. "That's impossible! How would he have known we were coming and if he did how would he have time to get a 10 man crew?!"

Kennedy shook her head "No if they knew we were coming they would've searched the premises they were heading directly for the house" I furrowed my brows "So you're saying-"

"They were there to kill him" Unc said walking into the room. "But who else would take that chance? Killing him?? Who else did he have information on?" Regina asked. "No other organization could've done it because nobody knew!" Kennedy said.

I sat back once it dawned on me. Unc and I made eye contact.

"It was his father..."

Regina caught on "Wait...so his father knew what he had. He knew who he was pissing off. So instead of letting us take him alive and trade us he decided to what...kill him instead?? That's his son!" She exclaimed

I shook my head "Illegitimate son. And he just cut him off that man couldn't give a damn about him" I said rubbing my temples.

"So what now?" I asked Unc. He sighed and sat back. "We wait. He's going to wonder where that drive is and I'm sure it's a matter of time before he comes knocking at the door."

Kennedy's brows furrowed "Wait I thought he was just an investor?" I shook my head before correcting her.

"Nobody is just anything in this city"
____________________
I got so caught up in the lovey dovey Tarasia moment I forgot the bigger picture for a sec😩😂

Y'all may get another chapter out of me tonight cause the ideas are popping up in my head every second for this book.

I hope y'all enjoyedddd!

Vote, Comment, and Follow pls

Muah💋