Chapter thirty-one

I stood behind Greta as she wired her laptop and pressed play on the footage we had been talking about earlier

I stood behind Greta as she wired her laptop and pressed play on the footage we had been talking about earlier. Nate was close to me while Esperanza left to powder her nose, as she put it. In reality, I think she just wanted a moment to be alone, and I couldn't blame her.

"Did Esperanza come here long after he was injured?" I asked before Greta shook her head.

"As far as Marcello said, he informed her immediately after they were broken into and broke the news. After an hour or so, she was here and hasn't left his side."

I remember seeing her days after I found out what had happened, yet she gave no inclination that Bráulio was alive. "I met with her not long after, but she didn't tell me anything about his condition."

"Probably wanted to keep it quiet until he was ready to talk," Greta said, and we focused on the video.

The clip was monochrome yet it was evident Brielle was kept somewhere in this estate. I instantly recognised Brielle, and that sharp ping in my chest surfaced once again.

"Where...Where am I?" She spoke quietly and managed to startle Bráulio, who had been sitting on the edge of the bed. I couldn't see what he was doing as his back faced the camera yet as he rose to his feet, he tucked a piece of paper into his pocket.

"That shouldn't concern you, Flor. Are you comfortable?" I almost rolled my eyes at the sound of his nickname for her. He should've been more creative than to use my own nickname for her in another language. Maybe it was his way of tormenting her, but in my book, he was earning additional beatings for the future. "I must apologise for the way I was with you a few days ago."

"You almost killed me," I scoffed at Brielle's words.

"I apologise, Brielle."

"Like that will miraculously make me feel better. Get a hold of yourself. Seriously, you owe me more than that but tell me, where am I? Or at least where I was before." I liked knowing she could hold her own in these situations no matter how horrible the circumstances were.

"You were in Madrid, my father's estate. Or... the underground of it," Bráulio answered her and clasped his hands together.

"So he does have some underground cells," Nate muttered beside me.

"You're in a safer place now," Bráulio cooed.

"That's all?" Brielle sounded a little too desperate for his liking.

"Be fucking grateful I didn't keep your fucking daughter. You've started to become comfortable in here, haven't you?" I took my hands out of my pockets and crossed my arms over my chest, feeling a sense of agitation start to take over me.

"You're acting like I asked to be taken, Mr Velasco"

"You have a mouth, I'll tell you that."

"You have no idea, some Spanish prick," she muttered and then his hand grabbed a handful of her hair before he tugged it so hard she yelped. I clenched my jaw.