Chapter five

I opened my eyes to the sharp sound of metal, moving against the cement floor

I opened my eyes to the sharp sound of metal, moving against the cement floor. The bright light almost blinded me as I tried to get a look at whoever walked in.

"You're awake," I heard an oddly familiar voice say.

"Wh-Who are you?" I managed to mumble. I could see the man's black lacquer shoes inching closer to me. I was still wearing the same clothes I had worn in the park and with the sharp pain in my head, I was beginning to panic. "Where is my daughter?"

"Now, now. I'm taking care of the both of you, Brielle," the man squatted down and I felt his finger brush a strand of my hair away from my face.

"Get away from me," I slapped his hand away from me as I looked up and then felt his hand wrapped tightly around my throat. It was then I could get a good look at his face.

The man from Lisbon.

The dark-haired, bearded man with sharp facial features and tanned skin. I knew his voice was familiar but I couldn't make out from where I had heard it before.

"That's no way to talk to someone who has your and your precious daughter's life in his hands," he stated, his jaw clenching as he stared right at me. "I don't think I need to tell you why you are here, right?" He smiled, his features changing from intimidating, close to comforting and sweet. "Your lover is one to talk, Brielle."

"Where am I?" He smiled again, running his thumb across one side of my jaw.

"Nicolas is going to try everything and I will be the last he suspects." His hand left me, leaving behind a warm sensation on my jaw. "Even if I've tried warning him to keep his gems close," he stood up and began pacing in the small room.

"Where am I?" I demanded again. It was suffocating to have to spend countless hours here and I was getting sick of it. I wanted to see my daughter who was hell knew where.

"It shouldn't concern you," he replied as he stepped in front of me and slid his hands into the pockets of his pants. "What should concern you, is your lover's commitment to you, my love," I almost reached for him to try and hurt him as much as I could manage but I was too numb. I couldn't lift my arm even to touch my face without putting all of my efforts into it.

"He's back in Italy, you know," he said as he began fixing the right cuff of his button-down shirt. "He reckons his exes have something to do with your abduction," he cooed, his entire attention fixated on the cuff. "It made me laugh when I found out but honestly, I couldn't blame him. I guess I would do that too if I was in his position," his eyes finally looked at me as he pocketed his hands.

"Where is my daughter?"

"She's alive and well. I would never hurt a child, Brielle. In fact," he leaned down to take my chin in his hand. "I won't hurt you either. But I do want to play some with your lover boy. Just imagine what he'll grant me for the sake of your safety. For Evara's safety," I felt a tear slip out of my eye as I stared at him, wishing nothing but the worst possible outcome for him.

"Who are you?" I asked but expected him to talk about something else. A smile tugged his lips as he stared at me, his thumb wiping my cheek. "You are not here to hurt me, you say, then tell me at least who the hell you are. My daughter needs me," his head cocked slightly to the side.

"Your daughter is well taken care of, Brielle. I told you that. I would like for you to trust me on this," I spat right at his face, making him stumble backwards.

"How can I trust the man who kidnapped me and my daughter? I want my child!" He began to laugh as he wiped his face with the back of his hand and stepped away from me.

"I can see why you've interested him. Fiery and bold, aren't you?" I watched him move around the room, looking at nothing in particular but avoiding me at all costs.

"Please, bring me my daughter."

"I will do no such thing."

"Please," I begged him, managing to move just a little to catch his attention. "Please, bring me Evara. I will do anything. Any fucking thing you want, just get me my daughter." His brow rose in interest as he finally met my eyes and thought about it for what seemed like hours.

"Brielle, Brielle, Brielle," he mused, moving to stand closer to me. "You couldn't possibly be serious, right?"

"I'll do anything." I could feel my tears rolling down like a waterfall. My daughter meant more than anything in this world to me and I wasn't going to stop before I ensured she was alright with my own two eyes. "Please," his hand touched my chin, lifting my face to him.

"You are bold, indeed. I could ask for anything, you know?" I swallowed hard, trying to think back at the best moments with Nicolas and Evara to take away the pain deep within me. "I could ask you to kiss me," he moved closer, his lips almost touching mine. I could scent the nicotine on his breath but I tried to imagine this was Nicolas.

If I was to save my daughter, I would have to make my mind and body think I was doing this with Nico, not with some psychopath who seemed to have no remorse for anyone but himself. "I couldn't ask you to suck me off," he continued. My eyes stung as I closed them as imagined Nicolas right in front of me. I imagined him touching my waist, my neck and then kissing his favourite spot in the crook of my neck. "Open your eyes," the man demanded and I did as I was told. There was too much riding on my actions.

"I might even ask you to become mine for the rest of our lives," he said, making my skin crawl.

"Let her go. Please, let her go back to her father," he smiled as he gazed at my eyes and looked all over my face with so much admiration, that I wondered if he was being genuine or sly.

"To Nicolas?" I hated that grin that appeared on his face every time I said something. "Maybe I will."

"Please, whatever your name is. Please, just bring her back to him and I'm all yours." His hand tightened around my neck before his lips touched mine. It was revolting to feel him against me. I tried to imagine Nicolas instead of him but my imagination seemed to betray me. After all, even the time I was drunk in my house and thought that I had imagined Nicolas touching me, it turned out he was actually there. I was just too drunk to notice.

"You'll call me Mr Velasco," he said and I nodded instantly. "I'll think about what I'll do with you but in the meantime," his free hand cupped my breast, gently squeezing it, and earning a painful cry from my lips. "You should learn how to act if you want me to believe this, mi flor," he kissed me again before he rose to his feet and moved towards the door.

"Please, let me see my daughter," I pleaded again, hoping the man would spare me. Mr Velasco stopped by the door and looked back at me for a second.

"I will do no such thing unless I am certain I want you," he said and left the room.

My body began to shake as a sob broke through and echoed against the walls.

Evara.

Evara.

Evara.

Why have I heard the name Velasco somewhere?