Chapter four

I landed about an hour ago in Rome and was on my way to the Esposito estate, sitting on the city's outskirts

I landed about an hour ago in Rome and was on my way to the Esposito estate, sitting on the city's outskirts. It wasn't the most exciting start to my day. However, I had no other choice.

Nate kept me updated with everything happening in New York, but there was scarcely anything new. Mattia was to come to Italy in the next few days after he fixed everything in London, but all in all, I was alone here. The people I trusted were out of the country, while everyone who meant close to nothing was here.

I was nervous in the sense that I missed the love of my life and worried that I would have to come face to face with the ones responsible for her abduction. But in another way, I was more than ready to hurt anyone who inflicted harm on my wife and daughter.

As I pulled up by the gate to their mansion, I was greeted by a guard. Esposito has always been cautious in terms of security. While we didn't have a physical guard by the gates to our mansion, our entire property was heavily guarded and monitored. We didn't need hundreds of men on standby like Saint did.

"Good afternoon. Name?" The guard asked in Italian.

"Nicolas Salucci," I noticed the way he swallowed. My name alone was enough to make the man scared shitless.

"Mr Esposito has no intention of meeting with you," he told me in Italian.

"I don't care what he wants, sir. You open the damn gate and we move on," he looked back uncomfortably before nodding once to me and disappearing into his booth.

I was almost certain the man informed Saint of my arrival the moment he stepped into the booth. He might have been scared of me but he was working for Saint. Obviously, he would obey his boss, not some other mob boss he had only heard of.

The gates opened and I drove inside, noticing the boss man walking through the main entrance, his hands in his pockets as he stared at my vehicle.

I stopped by the stairs and once I was out, I looked up at the man whose face I wished not to see since his daughter left me. It was impossible to make out what he was thinking behind those eyes but I sensed he did not wish to see me. Ever since Laura left me after my late brother's wedding fiasco, I hadn't had a chance to have a conversation with either of them. And it wasn't like I wanted to.

"Nicolas," I heard Saint say as I made my way up the stairs. I was aware I had eyes on me and perhaps even numerous rifles aimed right at me from yards away.

"Saint," I greeted and shook his outstretched hand.

"To what do I owe the displeasure?" I managed to smile as he led me into his mansion of sorts. The gold and white foyer was glowing from the bright lights coming through the windows. White marble floors stretched across the entire room, while golden accents covered the grand stairs along with the frames of the walls.

"I would like to discuss a private matter," I said just as we took a turn to the left to what I presumed was the office. It was a smaller space; the walls were almost covered with shelves, filled with books. Just like the foyer, the office didn't lack the bright and shining golden detailing.