The Cave

Ari was unhappy that they had to leave but still understood it was necessary. He had become quite emotional as they left, tears filling the corners of his eyes. Autumn understood what he was going through fairly well but had never actually experienced it herself. But Ari turned and strode away, only the slight faulted in his gait hinting towards his unhappiness.

That evening Yaela explained where they were going. First they would cross the Spine, cutting straight through the mountains. Then, after passing a few villages, they would arrive at Lake Isenstar. From there they would venture into Du Weldenvarden, straight to Ellesméra. The trip would take a while but should be worth it in the end.

They had set out two days after Ari was chosen, at midday. They were now deep into the Spine and Autumn was a little afraid. The trees were tall and cold looking, the air was thick with fog and the whole area had an unforgiving feel to it. Ari also looked edgy, glancing back, head whipping around at the slightest sound. The sun was just a sliver above a mountain now, the thin rays it emitted barely reaching the group. As the sun crawled slowly down, beneath the horizon, Autumn's heart began to pound.

Ever since she was little her father had told her cruel tales of wolves tearing people apart, when they were out after dark. When she had tried to protest, saying that in the tale of the legendary rider, Eragon, he goes into the Spine. The response has been a long, boring lecture.

As Autumn walked, her legs trembling slightly Pharaoh approached.
Do not fear, small one, I will protect you.

Autumn felt her anxiety wash away. Pharaoh swiftly ruined the moment by puffing up his cheeks and flaring his wings. He looked absolutely ridiculous. Autumn smiled and, as she was about to continue walking, heard Yaela say:

"We should settle down to sleep somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas"

There was a thoughtful silence for a few seconds until Ari said, in a slightly nervous tone,

"Maybe, like, one of those caves up there?" Ari moved his hand, gesturing to a cliff, covered in small holes and openings. The companions looked at one another for a few seconds then simultaneously nodded. They strode quickly, so that, just as the last rays of the sun clawed their way over the mountains, they arrived at a fairly small cave. The entrance was narrow so the smaller people went first. Ari climbed through, followed swiftly by Autumn. The two stopped and looked around. The cave was long and they couldn't see the back.

While the elves and Pharaoh kept watch outside the children explored the cave. At the very back corner there was a small crevass. That was until it made a sound.

A low sigh came from the back corner, like Pharaoh often made when he slept. Both Ari and Autumn froze, neither moving or breathing. Eventually Autumn moved forward and peered in. A draconian beast lay, sleeping, on the floor of a small sub-cave

"We should get Yaela" Whispered Autumn, quietly, so not to wake the creature. It didn't work. A silver, slotted eye opened and looked at Autumn straight in the eye.

I am so sorry. It's totally our fault for not updating. I will try to get back on track but could you help us by commenting to ask for updates?
Do we sound like Golum when we speak like this (precious).
xD
We promise to update soon!