Chapter 34

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

I struggled through three mouthfuls of Mia's pie before nearly gagging. She had insisted it wasn't sweet, but my teeth were practically begging for a dentist appointment. But it was fun watching Nix with his dessert, this kid could put a smile on anyone's face.

And he kept me busy and smiling until I settled him down for the night. Now I was sat, alone, by myself, with a bottle of jack for company.

It was quiet. Too quiet

I shut my eyelids and rubbed my tired eyes with my thumb and middle finger.  I used to enjoy my own company, but now it felt suffocating. I reached for my cell phone on the table, hoping for a distraction, but there were no messages.

God, I was pathetic.

What did I expect, a message from Beth? Tossing my phone. That ship had sailed, and I was the asshole left on the dock.

Too late, asshole.

Or was it? What if there was a slim chance she would hear me out?

The talk with Adam fresh in my head, and the impulse to go after her began to take hold. It stirred something up inside me, prompting me to leap from my seat, slam my glass down, and pace the room as if I had just been rudely awakened.

And the more I paced the clearer it became.   It came down to choices.   And so far I'd chosen to stay stagnant, safe.   A spectator in my own life watching it pass by.  I thought I was part of it, living it to the fullest—but it wasn't until someone crashed landed into my life, turned it upside down and split open my world that I could see it for what it was.

Nix's arrival had been the catalyst, bringing Beth and me together.  Surely that had to be fate, right?

But I'd been too stupid, afraid. A fucking coward... too stuck in the past; unable to fight for what was right in front of me.

Question was now. What was I going to do about it?

And then there was time—an ever-decreasing commodity, slipping through my fingers like sand in an hourglass.

If I didn't act now, I would lose her, completely, if not already.

Now I'd accepted there was no other choice for me the image of her took up all the space in my head... so perfect, so pretty that it hurt.  And I needed to do it now. Tell her now.  And I was halfway to the front door when I had to abandon that idea.

Idiot...

Mia was out and I couldn't leave Nix. 

Turning back, I walked back to the chair and sat my ass down, it was then I thought I heard Beth whisper in my ear. "You've made me wait far too long, Chris."

I had, but it wasn't going to stop me from trying and I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my contacts and hit the one I wanted. The call connected. "Hey, it's me."