Chapter 26

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

Seated in a Diner at the agreed location an uneasy tension clung to me as nervous energy danced in my tapping fingers, a silent drumroll of impatience. 

She was late. 

I'd been sitting here for almost an hour and now a tinge of frustration coloured my thoughts as I waited for Mia.

Why had I let Beth talk me into giving her space? Oh, yeah. Because I might be a bastard, but I wasn't that bastard. She'd just lost her mother. It wasn't the right time.

"You keep staring at that coffee like it just spilled the town's juiciest gossip. Hate to break it to you honey, but it's colder than your ex's heart by now." The server raised an eyebrow, her hand confidently on her cocked hip.

I blinked. Huh? 

"You 'ear me, honey?" 

I blinked again.  "Sorry.  If you could fetch me another, I'd appreciate it."

"Sure thing." She took my old coffee away and reappeared with a fresh cup in one hand and a jug of coffee in the other and poured me a fresh one. "By the way, curious minds want to know—who's the lucky soul you're waiting for?" She winked, adding a playful twist to her nosiness.

About to answer I heard a jingle on the door and my head turned around.

Finally.

Mia's eyes landed on me. It was obvious she'd rather be anywhere but here.

She slowly made her way to the table and stood there looking uneasily around. Make-up-free, She smelled of soap and some cheap perfume, but she looked clean, although her clothes hinted at age, having seen better days. "Sit." I gestured to the seat opposite me. "You want a drink or something to eat?"

She shrugged.

"It's not a trick question Mia, You either do or you don't."

Her forehead crinkled, throwing me shade in a very teenager way and I had to wonder how old she was. "Fine. I'll take a glass of water."

I raised my eyes to the server and she nodded. "Be right back with it."

"You're late."

"Yeah, well, it couldn't be helped. My car wouldn't start and I had to get someone to look at it."

I remembered her car, it looked like it had just survived its tenth round with a demolition derby. But she could have messaged. I'd handed my number to her before I left the hospital.

Shrugging again. "And I forgot to charge my phone, so I couldn't y'know, call you."

That answered that question. Picking up my fresh coffee I blew over the top of my cup waiting for her to start.

"How's Onix Blue?"

There was no holding back my smile. "He's good." I nodded. "You wouldn't believe how much he's grown."