Chapter 33

~ ~ Chris ~~

~ ~ Chris ~~

In an attempt to keep busy, I found myself outside in the garage tidying up.

Picking up a wrench. "Why do I have one of these again?" I muttered to myself because honestly, I couldn't wrench my way out of a paper-bag and then I stupidly dropped it to land on my foot. "Ow! Shit." That goddamn hurt I hissed bending down to pick up.

Why was this a good idea again?

Oh yeah, because this was one of the few places Beth hadn't frequented. There were no reminders of her in here.

Opening a toolbox I threw the offending item inside.

Thank God I was going back to work next week, my sabbatical was over and I was heading back to full-time hours. Which was a good thing because I was going crazy being here...without her.

Exhaling a hard sigh, I missed her, like an ache that just wouldn't shift.

I'd like to say she fixed me.

That her hands and her heart had pieced me back together.

But I hadn't let her.

And even if I could go back two weeks, and tell myself to agree to whatever she damned well wanted, I still wouldn't have listened.

Was that stupidity or stubbornness?

Probably both.

But now my head had gone there, everything else just flooded back in, unrestricted and uncensored. My smile came freely as I tortured myself with all the little things I missed. Simple things—like hanging out. Her sassy comebacks, and humour, and how easy it was to talk to her... The way she would relax next to me, whether it be watching a movie together, even those awful true-story daytime movies or cooking dinner.

All of it had been comfortable and natural.

And those blue eyes and flawless skin and pert nose. And that freckle and her gorgeous bottom lip that she often caught me staring at.

Everything was easy with Beth.

The way her smile felt on me...

My smile dropped.

I wouldn't feel that again.

Someone else would be on the receiving end of her smile and I clenched my teeth so hard my jaw ached as realisation hit and anger rose unexpectedly. I was angry because at that moment, I was resentful of any and all of her future relationships. Sick to my stomach of the man who got the chance to spend his life with her.

I had no right to feel anything and wasn't that what I wanted her for?

Tilting my head back I scratched my hand across my prickly jaw.

Can't have it both ways, asshole.

Looking down I reminded myself that I was out here to keep busy and to not think about Beth.