Part IV - Prelude to Farewell

PRELUDE TO FAREWELL

Iona Research Complex, seven centuries ago

The Dragonslayer felt his dying heart as he traced the titanic figure outlined against the sky.

They had told him what had happened.

An enormous dragon towered in the center of the research complex, its wings eclipsing the dawn light, its tail crushing buildings in a sweeping arc, its claws lashing viciously at everything in their path. The colossal monster roared in overwhelming fury, the sound so fierce it created an impact wave across the entire area.

No! Great Cosmos, no! Zee!

Inwardly, the Dragonslayer screamed in anguish. His soul wailed louder than any of the blaring avarial alarms of the base, torment rending his very essence. Outwardly, he was poised as a steel statue, his bearing a paragon of discipline, himself a champion of will and determination. He moved decisively, each running stride tearing him into a million fading pieces, yet his warrior spirit blazed with the fire of honor and nobility, compelling him to go above and beyond the call of duty, to save others.

And to end a tragedy.

"All personnel evacuate! This is a red alert!" the PA speakers blared distantly. "Repeat, red alert protocol! Evacuate immediately!"

The thunder of interceptor wings boomed in the sky overhead, squadrons rushing alongside ACUs to contain the threat, while land cruisers of rescue teams scrambled into the lethal battlezone. The dragon turned its murderous attention to these new targets. Its jaws opened, releasing a blinding blast of firebreath, engulfing squadron wings in a nova-hot inferno. One massive claw slashed, smashing an ACU to pieces, then smashed another on the backswing.

The Dragonslayer ran along the main runway, parallel to the carnage, a hundred meters away from his personal mech. The Templar's voice crackled over the commlink."Commander, we're taking heavy casualties! Half the patrol force is already down!"

"Concentrate on evacuating the civilians," the Dragonslayer ordered. "I am taking the field."

"Commander, this isn't wise, the situation–"

"You have your orders, Major! Tell the others to hold the line, and let the interceptors distract the target." Pain pierced his throat as he uttered the last word, yet his voice remained iron-hard. "I will deal with this personally. Understood?"

"Yes, Commander," the Templar acquiesced, and cut the commlink.

The Dragonslayer reached his ACU and climbed swiftly up the mounting platform. The mech was already pre-activated and the technicians quickly cleared away from the bulky humanoid vehicle. The Dragonslayer stomped the move thread to full throttle and the ACU dashed forward, sending tremors and making cracks in the polyconcrete ground with every ponderous stride.

In the distance, battle raged and destruction thundered, with the titanic dragon at the epicenter of the chaotic maelstrom. Its dark crimson form loomed terribly like an avatar of blood and death. It tore mechs and incinerated fighter jets relentlessly, roaring in fury between its devastating attacks as it obliterated the remaining forces from the 23rd Starlight division. Half the research complex lay in ruins, soldiers and pilots sacrificing their lives valiantly to give time for the survivors to evacuate.

Zee! Oh, deus, Zee... Why...

The Dragonslayer rushed headlong, rubble and debris crushing under the ACU's heavy legs. The area was shrouded by dust clouds and thick fire fumes. Emergency lights from rescue vehicles flashed in scattered locations. People struggled to get away from the battlezone. The Dragonslayer saw a familiar face atop an emergency stairway of a laboratory section.