Chapter 17.2 - Protector of the Way

Veralla put all her speed and strength into the kick, hoping at most to overbalance Airo. To ensure at least this partial success, she committed to take his attack in full, bracing for the jarring impact.

Instead he missed, making the wrong step, and she forced him flat on his back.

"Airo! Are you okay?!" she cried, worried he had been injured by the heavy fall.

For one long second, he did not reply. A moment later, she felt his essence surge outward, linking with her mind for a single instant in perfect harmony. She felt his fears and dreams as her own in a single burst of overwhelming sensation, and heard clearly his own thoughts.

Tell continue--then recovery counter-trip...

"I am fine," came Airo's physical voice. "Continue."

In the same instant, his leg flashed quick as lightning. Yet Veralla was ready. Warned from the abrupt mental contact with Airo she jumped back, her tail lashing frantically to keep the balance of her bipedal posture.

The moment passed, and the link vanished.

Airo swiftly rose to his feet. He was determined to continue the sparring match, Veralla sensed. She, too, was not going to back down. She wanted to show him how capable she had become, to show Glawlrhain how hard she studied, to show everyone that she deserved to become a Radiant Knight. She watched Airo's eyes carefully, since Glawlrhain had told her that was where she could truly learn the intent of her opponent. She watched those deep grey orbs, facing fearlessly the sadness, the rage, and the cold emptiness, seeking only to perceive the immediate flashes upon the surface, avoiding to be plunged into the darkness lurking behind them.

She resisted that terrible gaze not because of bravery. Not because of courage. Not because of valor.

She resisted it because she had seen the light inside.

She peered at his gaze as she had done many times before, but never for so long or with such intensity. It made time stretch over the horizon of personal perception, like an overclocked simulspace; revealing everything that had transpired between him and her like a data stream on the screen of reality, from the first time their eyes met amidst the frozen beauty of Terra Para, to this very moment atop the Ilsorin stronghold.

He no longer hated or resented her. He had accepted her, and had accepted her kind. He had made physical contact with her on his own volition. He played games with her and he wanted to spend time with her.

He said kind words to her.

And now they were facing each other, having hurt each other despite merely sparring, she fighting against her rising bloodlust, him holding back the rage burning his soul. Yet they were here because each of them wanted to be here, wanted to be with the other, to be against the other, to test themselves...

...and rise together as a team and as soulkin.

Veralla shook her head and came back to her senses. Before her, Airo made a minimal motion, shifting his weight to launch an attack. She flared her wings, bringing her tail to one side, intent on feinting, then give him a solid bap on the head.

Actually... when did sparring matches end?

"That is enough," Glawlrhain suddenly said.

***

Something was wrong with the training grounds. The environment had become too quiet.

Airo, however, had no spare moments to dwell on side matters. He was focused completely on Veralla, anticipating more surprises from her. He had abandoned all restraint, the old bloodlust of the Dragonslayer resurfacing in his mind, as he prepared to utterly destroy the dangerous creature before him.

"That is enough," growled a characteristic, alien voice.

Airo winced as if taken out of a trance. Veralla relaxed too, all tension leaving her. He glanced to the side, and saw Glawlrhain who was standing by the outer edge of the sparring platform, glaring sternly at both of them.

Airo instantly became aware what had caused the strange stillness.

The Radiant Knights had stopped their training. All of them had gathered around the sparring platform silently, forming a wide circle of over a hundred individuals. The dragons towered behind the humans, displaying the same hushed awe their mortal companions did. Even Alomar and his pack had come to watch, their expressions scornful yet their eyes betraying keen interest.

"You have dueled well," Glawlrhain broke the silence again. "Both of you."

Veralla smiled timidly, bashful under so many gazes. "We did great, Airo! High five!" She raised her claw.

"What?" he balked.

"Let us have a high five," Veralla repeated. She glanced with comical alarm at her claw. "Oh, well, s-since I have six fingers, it is not exactly a five. Maybe high six-five?"

Airo eyed her. She was uncertain, yet her gesture was hopeful, even heart-touching. She seemed so vulnerable, waiting expectantly for him to respond.

Great Cosmos, what has my life become?

He raised a hand, and they high-fived.

The Radiant Knights exploded in cheers. Humans shouted excitedly and applauded, while dragons gave approving hrrrs and thumped with their tails.

"I knew you weren't gonna leave her hanging, Boss!" Zuckeroff clamored from the front rows.

"Well done, Commander!" Kiana added with a yell.

"You were fantastic, Veralla!" Lung rumbled loudly.

"Best fighting technique I've seen after Glawlrhain!" Zeromon roared.

Veralla turned her head in all directions, beaming with happiness and trying to look humble at the same time. Airo let the crowd cheer on, contemplating what just happened.

He had never high-fived a dragon before. It felt... strange. Since the tragedy which had taken Zenassa away from him, he never again had been keen on physical contact. Yet when his and Veralla's palms touched, the sensation was electrifying. Her draconic hide felt so smooth, so... natural. It was as if this ultra-brief moment of intimacy had reborn him anew, reawakening his soul from some long, dreamless sleep.

He felt alive.

The cheering was cut short when a long, shrill alarm echoed over the training grounds. The Radiant Knights quieted down, bewildered.

"Sorry for interrupting your spontaneous festivities," Yeoman Cloud's artificial voice boomed from no particular direction. "I think there is a situation requiring everybody's immediate attention." The SAI wasn't jovial as usual, sounding instead much more solemn.

"What is happening?" Airo asked the question for everyone.

"There is a ninety-nine point eight percent likelihood one of the dragon eggs in the storage incubators will begin to hatch within ten minutes."