Chapter 16 - Changing Ways

CHAPTER 16 – CHANGING WAYS

"People often think the opposite, but I Awakened after the refugee crisis on Orelia.

Up until that point, I had spent the better part of a century training consistently for decades, trying out an astroload of methods, implants, spiritual teachings, mindgeneering, and other dragoncrap in an attempt to become a true Conduit. Even when I was deep in the storm of blood which was the Mu Duus fubar in 789 RE, seeing both mind-scarring horrors and awe-inspiring deeds of selflessness and courage on a daily basis for months, I still remained a mere mortal.[...]

Yet once that dramatic episode of galactic history passed, I found myself working temporarily as an astrologer on some backwater T4 world. It was then, during a particularly quiet night, when I paused in my work to check the sky instead the VR index, and as I lifted my eyes toward the heavens, I became Aware."

– Shonjo Tsunami, "Memories From The Crusades", Datalinks

The message Captain Riley had sent over the QE comms was simple: Union task force went into a zone with reported heavy Revenant activity. If they keep course and you hurry, you may be able to reach them in time. What followed was a string of coordinates, indicating direction and approximate planetary location.

Airo read the message while he rushed toward the skyship hangar, Zuckeroff clanking at his side. He simultaneously held a curt discussion with Yeoman Cloud, inspected the cargo and crew manifests in case Elder Darkovitz had missed something, and played out various scenarios in his head on how to approach the situation. The commlink buzzed quietly with mission-prep chatter, the power armor's interface was cluttered with data, and refugees still crowded the hallways in their late-night revelry; Airo barely registered when he crossed the living quarters and ran past his room. But he did notice.

He stopped suddenly. Veralla.

"Hey, Boss! What's wrong?" Zuckeroff asked, coming to a halt a few paces further.

Airo didn't reply. His eyes were fixed on the irised door, yet his mind was concentrated on the person beyond it, and his soul was still further focused upon something even more distant. Veralla has no place in such a crucial operation, the rational part of him thought.

Yet was he going to leave her again for days on end? Was he going to continue to spend his time alone, dwelling on the meaninglessness of his existence? So what if she was a dragon? She was the nicest and brightest person whom he'd ever spoken to since he'd been awakened from cryostasis to receive his 'second chance'.

Startled, he realized he missed her.

"Boss?"

"Go ahead, Zuckeroff. I shall join the crew shortly."

"Yes, sir."

The astrior continued down the hallway. Airo stood a few seconds more, then opened the door and entered the room. Veralla was still on the human-sized bed, her shadowy form gently pulsating in rhythm with her silent breathing. He went to her and called softly, "Veralla."

A pair of amethyst orbs appeared as she opened her slit-pupiled eyes. "Airo!" she murmured with hopeful voice.

"Yes, I am here," he said, crouching to meet her gaze. He took off the power armor's gauntlet from his hand, and tentatively reached to pat her head. "I am here."

His simple gesture had instantaneous effect. She let out a quiet sob and turned her head, pressing her cheek firmly against his hand.

"Will you stay tonight here?" she pleaded.