Chapter 12 - Exploring Ways

CHAPTER 12 – EXPLORING WAYS

"[...]and the conclusion of that horrifying chapter in transhuman history was the Battle for Terra Para. This saw the Galactic Stellar Consortium, the Union of True Humanity, the H'raal Exile Fleet, and the outlawed Order of the Radiant Knights banding together in an extraordinary alliance against a common threat.

[...]The alliance proved victorious but regrettably short-lived; with the cost of victory unimaginably high, sharp dissent divided its members shortly afterwards. As a result, the two largest parties, the Consortium and the Union, prevented the H'raal from turning into a major galactic power, and dispersed them forcibly across distant star systems with the Special Non-Invasion Treaty[...] then they declared Terra Para under martial law, thus placing the Radiant Order into a permanent state of semi-arrest.[...]

[...]With the stage settled thus, the strained cooperation between the two primary stellar civilizations once again began to deteriorate in the wake of the galaxy's subsequent, yet by far most devastating cataclysm since the Cosmic Death."

– Kentaro Xinyi Meor, "The Starblaze Terror", Datalinks

999 RE, the Radiant Knights' hidden base, Terra Para

Early morning

"It is so beautiful!" Veralla rawr-ed.

"Yes, this isn't merely a bastion," Glawlrhain agreed. "In times of need, that is its purpose, yet during peace it serves as a recreation center for our Order."

"Does this place have a name?" she asked.

"Ilsorin," the sinuous blue-green dragon replied. "It means 'high peak' in the draconic language."

Veralla nodded, looking around eagerly. They were at the back of the stronghold complex, where the large mountain split into two tapering ridges. The ridges curved inward, forming a huge enclosed area, accessible only by air or by a narrow vertical gap where the outer edges didn't quite meet. Inside the enclosure tiered parks and hanging gardens were built along the cliffs, where trees, ferns, and all kinds of vegetation thrived in the carefully maintained environmental conditions. Winding walkways traversed the enclosed area, leading down to a lake of crystal-clear water on a meadow of exotic, glowing grasses. Elegant monuments floated among the walkways and wide terraces, acting as light sources during the night. And everything was infused with Æther energy.

"Can I drink from the water?" Veralla asked, looking at the lake's gentle, unbroken surface.

"Of course," Glawlrhain snorted with amusement. "Most of the other dragons drink mainly from the lake."

Veralla dipped her snout, and took several gulps. The water was cool and refreshing, bringing a sense of vitality beyond the merely physical. She straightened out and hrrr-ed contently. "The water tastes very nice," she said.

"Yes, its harmonic resonance is kept to the highest standard," Glawlrhain said. He casually slashed his claw across the lake's surface, the splashful of water twinkling with intricate shapes in the morning air. Veralla gasped in rapture at the display. Glawlrhain regarded her warmly. "Shall we proceed with the tour?" he asked.

"Yes, yes, of course!" she said.

Glawlrhain continued to show her around the Radiant Knights' hidden base. They passed through the training chambers, which supported both VR scenarios and real terrain generated with variform smart materials, saw the datacenter which housed most of Ilsorin's systems and support AIs, and visited various common rooms spread around on different levels.