036

36

36.

____

The couple both laid intertwined in bed, their arms wrapped around each other in a silent embrace, attuned to the rhythm of Theodore's steady breathing.

As the sun settled outside, they drifted off to sleep, lost in each other's warmth. Nia awoke with the first light of dawn, her eyes fluttering open to the soft murmur of Theodore's voice and the aroma of freshly baked goods wafting through the air.

With a yawn escaping her mouth, Nia rose from the bed, a conversation caught her attention from her bedroom. "Yes, I'm with her right now," His voice prompted her to pause in her steps, overhearing the exchange happening through the phone. "Mom, please stop," Theodore pleaded, clearly flustered by his mother's excitement for them.

She watched as he switched to speakerphone, wincing at the volume of his mother's squeals.

"Are you both on the same page now?" his mother inquired, prompting him to let out a weary sigh. "Yes, ma, we're good now," he confirmed, and Nia smiled feeling happy about that.

His mother's squeals echoed once more, and Nia could not help but chuckle, giving away her eavesdropping. Theodore turned to her, a playful grin spreading across his face. "Caught you," he teased, before greeting her 'good morning'

"Morning," She says, walking towards him, a smile on her lips.

Still on speaker his mother asked.
"Is she up?"

"Yes mother, she just heard you squeal like a school girl," Theodore, replied chuckling.  "Oh shh. Now give my daughter in law the phone now," With a chuckle she watches as he walks toward her, and hands her but not before planting a sweet good morning kiss on her lips before she took the call. "Good morning, Mrs. Knocks," she greeted warmly.

"Hello, dear. My son mentioned you were in the hospital. Is everything alright?" Mrs. Knocks concern was evident in her voice.

"Yes, I'm fine," Nia assured her.

"That's good to hear. I do hope to see you at the gala tonight, and dinner between us might be scheduled soon....oh shoot I must go now, I have this interview today bye and tell my son I said goodbye," Mrs. Knocks added, and Theodore shakes his head, muttering. "I can hear her,"

Holding in her chuckle, Nia hums in acknowledgment before bidding farewell. "Okay, bye."

As she ended the call, Theodore's arms wraps around her waist, prompting her to lean into his embrace. "I hope you don't mind me telling my mom about your hospital visit," he murmured.

She shook her head. "I don't mind. So, what's this gala all about?" she inquired, quite curious about the event.

"It's just an event my parents attend every January before inauguration. It's more of a fundraiser than a gala to be fair. I guess making an appearance this year means something to them as I am the next President,"Nia nodded, understanding, and with that, he leaned in, placing a kiss on her forehead this time. Then, he turned her around to showcase the already set table that she had missed the minute she stepped out of her bedroom. The smell of breakfast that sat on the table started to invade her nostrils immediately.  "Oh Theo Thank you," she whispers, staring at the food in front of her.