030

“There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice

“There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice.”

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

30.

____

As the second to last day of the year dawned, Nia couldn't shake the feeling of loneliness that crept over her. Theodore had yet again been busy with preparations for his upcoming inauguration, leaving her craving his touch and his affection.

She missed the way his eyes would wander over her face, filled with nothing but love.

She longed for his comforting embrace, the way he made her feel seen and loved.

"Earth to Nia," Mrs. Jonas who had invited Nia over for a slice of pie and a glass of orange juice, waved her hand in front of Nia's face to get her attention.

"Sorry," Nia quickly apologized, and Mrs. Jonas just chuckled. "I know that look,"

Confused, Nia asked. "What look?"

Mrs. Jonas gave her a knowing look. "Don't make me remind you of how I first saw you and the President Elect," Nia blushed and turned her face away. "And I'm sorry that you had to see that,"

Mrs. Jonas chuckled. "No need to apologize, dear. My husband and I were just like that back in the olden days. But between us, I'm pretty sure we weren't the only two people in those explicit moments, if you get what I'm saying," she winked, then seeming lost in her thoughts before shaking her head with a smile. "Anyways, back to that engagement ring. You think I didn't see it shining in my face the moment you walked in?"

Nia chuckled before looking down at the ring and replied, "It's not an engagement ring, it's a promise ring," Mrs. Jonas gazed at it with admiration while she continued to knead the dough in her hand. "Well child, with how big the size is, I almost thought he had proposed."

Nia looked at the ring, laughing a bit awkwardly.

"I still remember when I got married, my husband couldn't afford a ring that expensive so he made one out of ribbon and wires. It was so charming that I kept it on even after he bought one in 2009," Mrs. Jonas shared, proudly showing off her own ring that was slightly covered in flour.

Nia's heart swelled at the story, and recalled a story that her father once told her.

"My dad couldn't afford a ring as well so he had a friend cut one out of tires. My mom wore it for years, but she took it off when my father replaced it. My dad still has it kept in his wallet ever since she took it off," Nia spoke softly and looked up to find Mrs. Jonas staring at her.

Without a word, Mrs. Jonas reached for a napkin and handed it to Nia, who quietly muttered a thank you as she wiped away her tears.

"I really love when you share stories about your mother, since I feel like you don't talk about her much," Mrs. Jonas said, leaving Nia lost for words as there was truth to what she was saying.