XXIII - Clickity-Clackity

"Help!" Robin yelled into the echoey room for the thousandth time, still getting no response. Russell tried to tell her that it would probably only make things worse, but she didn't bother to listen. "Help! Help!"

"Hey, would you stop yelling?" Steve slurred out, the first thing he's said since he'd fallen unconscious.

"Steve-" Russell's face lit up and she sat up straighter. Oh how she wanted to hold him. . . 

"Oh, my God!" Robin chuckled. "Steve-"

"Are you okay?" Russell continued to stare at him, noticing how he moved with each breath. 

"My ears are ringing, and I can't really breathe, my eye feels like it's about to pop out of my skull, but, you know, apart from that, I'm doing pretty good." He quipped. 

"Well, the good news is that they're calling you a doctor." Robin chuckled. Steve lifted his head and turned it to look in Russell's direction. Pain crossed her face when she saw just how badly Steve was hurt. It had been a couple hours since she'd seen his face and she'd almost forgotten how bad he looked. But she gave him a soft smile anyways. 

"Hi. . ." Russell whispered,

Steve gave a woozy smile to Russell before going back to what Robin had said. "Is this his place of work? I love the vibe. Charming." Russell frowned, she didn't understand how the two of them could be joking at a time like this. They were in danger. Real danger. And they probably weren't going to make it out of this. . .basement thing

"Yeah, tell me about it. So, okay,  do you see that table over there to your right?" Robin questioned, looking over her shoulder to see that Steve was staring at Russell. "No- Your other right. Ru, you can't. . .really see it, sorry-" 

"That's okay." She sighed, not taking her eyes off of her boyfriend even when he looked the opposite direction. 

"Yeah, okay." Robin nodded when Steve looked over. "And do you see those scissors?" 

"Uh-huh." Steve mumbled.

"Yeah, well, I think that if we move at the same time, we could get over there, and then maybe I could kick the table and knock them into your lap."

"And then Steve could cut us free-" Russell smiled, looking over at Robin for a moment before resuming her gaze at the back of Steve's head. 

"Yeah! And we could get out of here."

"Got you. Okay, yeah, we can do that." Steve nodded.

"Yeah." 

"Yeah, we can totally do that. Those morons. They left scissors in here?" 

"Yeah, morons." Robin laughs. 

"Okay." Russell let out a soft sigh.

"On the count of three, we're gonna hop." Robin instructed.

"Got it."

"Okay, good, hop on three. I gotcha." 

"Alright. One, two, three." 

Steve and Robin jumped to the side, Russell hopping backward so they were all moving the same direction. "Okay that worked-" Russell let out a breath.

"Alright. Uh- Let's try again."

"One. Two. Three." They counted down together before jumping again. 

"Holy shit! This is gonna work!" Robin smiled, looking over in Russell's direction with a big smile. 

"We're close, okay, we're close. Ready?" Steve stammered. 

"Okay. One, two, three." They hopped again, but this time they fell. . .away from the table. Russell's head slammed into the floor as she landed on her front. Her knees, face and chest kept her propped against the harsh tile flooring. Her cheek pressed against the ground and immediately started to sting. A pressure was put on her back as her position held up her friends. After a moment, her center of gravity shifted from the applied mass and all her weight, as well as Steve's and Robin's, was pushed against her shoulder, knee and cheek.