III - A Ride Home

Russell was in PE, the boys were playing shirts and skins basketball, the girls were just kind of. . .sitting there on the bleachers. Billy and Steve kept going head to head, being the best two players on the court. Steve was on the shirts team and Billy on the skins team.

"Harrington, right? I heard you used to run this school. That true?" Russell rolled her eyes at her brother's words. "'King Steve' they used to call you, huh? Then you turned bitch."

"Hey, maybe you should just shut up and just play the game."

Billy tripped Steve while he was distracted, the brunet falling to the ground. Billy stole the ball, dribbling it across the court and shooting a basket under his leg. "Whoo!" He turned, winking at the girl next to his sister.

"You're brother's an absolute dumbass." Rylie snickered, shaking her head. She had her sketchbook out, Russell looking over at it to see her progress every so often. She was drawing the so called dumbass in his gym uniform. Meaning no shirt and short green shorts, claiming it to be 'anatomy' practice.

"I know." The brunette smiled, laughing.

Nancy walked into the gym, "Steve?" She called.

The Harrington boy turned to look at her, walking out of the gym after her. Russell's smile dropped. She thought it over in her head, rustling with the idea until she finally decided to stand up and follow the two out. She knew she shouldn't, but. . .She felt like she needed to protect Steve. Nancy had broken his heart not even twenty-four hours ago.

She rounded the corner, seeing Steve and Nancy stood there talking. Steve scoffed, "Jesus, you really can't handle your alcohol. Uh. . .Okay, you remember going to Tina's party last night, right?"

"Yes." Nancy breathed out.

"Okay, and then what?" Steve caught sight of Russell but he didn't fully turn to her, knowing that Nancy wouldn't like her being there.

"I remember dancing, and. . .spilling some punch. You got mad at me because I was drunk. . ." Steve scoffed, turning to Russell with a disbelieving face. "And then you took me home."

Steve took the towel off his shoulder, wrapping it around his neck instead. "No. No, see, that's where your mind gets a little bit fuzzy. That was your other boyfriend. That was. . .That was Jonathan."

Nancy shook her head, "I don't understand."

"Pretty simple Nancy, you were just telling it like it is." He mumbled.

"What?" She huffed out.

"Uh. Apparently, uh. . .We killed Barb and I don't care, 'cause I'm bullshit. And our whole- our whole relationship is bullshit, and, I mean, pretty much everything is just bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Oh yeah, also, you don't love me." Steve nodded, "Ask Ru, she knows." He pointed over at the girl who was still stood watching them, not wanting to interrupt.

Nancy looked at the girl annoyed, shaking her head at Steve. "I was drunk, Steve! I don't remember any of that!"

"So that makes everything that you said, it's what? It's just bullshit, too?" He exasperated.

"Yes!"

"Well then, tell me!"

"Tell you what?"

"That you love him, Nancy." Russell told her, furrowing her eyebrows. "If everything you said was bullshit, tell him that you love him."

Nancy scoffed out a laugh, smiling, "Really?"