II - Halloween

Russell sighed, smoothing over her skirt, making sure that the blue checkered sweater vest she had on was properly tucked into it. She smiled, walking outside and scanning the area for the blonde she had met the previous day. She caught sight of Rylie leaning against a maroon BMW, a young brunette laughing next to her. The younger girl was sitting cross legged on the hood of the car, a lunchbox open in her lap. There was the same boy she saw in the hall yesterday, fluffy brown hair and all, his arm was slung over a brunette girl who was in Russell's second period class. The last person there was another brunet who looked uncomfortable in the situation, like he wasn't used to the people around them. Russell took in a big breath, walking over to the group. 

"Russell!" Rylie yelled out, throwing her arms up and hugging the girl. "I was afraid you weren't going to make it." She smiled, pulling back from the tight embrace. 

"Well. . .I said I'd come, didn't I?" She gave a soft smile.

"You sure did!" The blonde nodded, pulling her cigarette out of her mouth and letting out a drawl of smoke. "This is Lucy Harrington." She patted the young girl on the head with her free hand, ruffling her wavy hair slightly. "Steve, also Harrington, the dingus." She nodded at the fluffy haired brunet with a smirk. "Nancy Wheeler," she pointed to the girl under his arm, her grin immediately falling. "And, Jonathan Byers." She pointed to the uncomfortable looking boy. "Guys, this is Russell Hargrove. She's new here." She grinned. 

The brunette waved, tensing slightly at all the eyes on her. She felt a tug against her sleeve, looking over at the girl she had learned was called Lucy. "Hi! It's nice to meet you." The young girl beamed, holding out her hand for Russell to shake. 

"You too, Lucy." She took the girl's hand into her own with a small smile. Russell took note of the way the girl's amber eyes lit up at her small gesture and felt her expression soften slightly. 

"So, Russell." Steve spoke up, looking at the new girl. Russell watched as his girlfriend stared at her with a narrow gaze. She shifted on her feet, not liking the look of aggravation from the stranger. "Why'd you move to Hawkins, of all places?"

She shrugged, "Dad got a job." The brunette could feel the tension coming from the young girl beside her. Somehow, Lucy had known she was lying. The thirteen year old girl picked up on the cues that none of the older teens seemed to. 

Steve nodded, his hair bounced with the action. "Well, welcome to our little shit hole of a town." He laughed.

"Harrington, you're such a drama queen." Rylie remarked, taking another drag of her cigarette, tilting her head back and letting a puff of smoke into the air. "Hawkins isn't so bad. But yeah, we all want to get out of here eventually." 

"Not all of us." Nancy piped up, Russell watched as the blonde rolled her bright green eyes. 

"Yeah, Nance. Not all of us." Steve nodded, looking down with loving eyes at his girlfriend. 

Russell furrowed her eyebrows, looking around quickly. "Where- Where did Jonathan go? Did I- Did I make him uncomfortable?" 

"Nope! He always leaves. He's not really a group kind of guy." Lucy smiled up at the older girl, taking a bite of her cookie after she finished her words. 

"Oh, okay." The brunette nodded, still unsure of the girl's words. 

"Lulu, guess what?" Rylie looked over her left shoulder at the girl.

"What?"

"I met Russell in my art class. She's quite the artist." She smirked, Lucy's face lighting up.