V - Dahlia

"Audrey!" Neil yelled, slamming his daughter's door open. She was laying on her bed reading The Shining for her book report.

"Yes, dad?" She looked up from her book, her expression of joy from the story she so loved immediately dropping when she saw her father's face.

"Where the hell is your brother?!"

"I- I don't know. . .He's not in his room?"

"Do you think I'd be asking you if he was? Do you think I'm stupid?" Russell's father was getting close, nearly at her bed with his slow steps.

"No, of course not." She muttered, sitting up on her bed. "Did he- Did he take Max somewhere?"

"She's here you fucking bitch." Neil took a swing, his fist colliding with the spot that was still bruised on his daughter's cheek. She yelled out, tears pricking her eyes. He grabbed her by her collar, pulling her to a stumbling stand. "Where. . .is. . .Billy?" She could taste the whiskey on his breath and swallowed.

"I don't know."

"Stop lying to me!" He dropped her from his grasp, punching her again. She blocked her face with her hands, her father taking a tight hold of her wrists. Neil twisted her arms behind her back, slamming her face first into the wall. "Where is your brother!?"

"I don't know! I don't know!" She sobbed out, wriggling in his hold. He had a hand against her cheek and the other was still constricting her wrists in a way she thought would pop her shoulders out of socket. Through her teary eyes she saw Susan standing in the doorframe, a scared look on her face. Just. . .watching.

"I will not tolerate your disrespect in my household!" He spat out, pushing her face further into the wall. "I want you out! Be gone in the next five minutes you ungrateful bitch." Neil let go of his daughter, leaving her in the familiar state of crying against the wall. She hurriedly grabbed her school backpack, shoving clothes and makeup in it. She scrawled a messy note to Billy on a piece of paper and slid it under his door, leaving the house. She didn't grab everything she'd need because she knew that she'd be back in the house by Monday, her father needing someone who was actually there all the time that he could beat on. She didn't have a car like Billy, all she could do was stay in her room. It was perfect for him.

————————————————————————————————

Russell was walking through town, her eyes were no longer red but the bruise on her cheek was uncovered since she didn't have time to cover it before leaving her house. She was pulling at the sleeves of her jacket, tucking the light blue fabric into her palms. "Oh my God! Ru!" She felt arms wrap tight around her torso and flinched, her shoulders going tense.

The brunette turned around to see Rylie standing there along with a stiff looking Steve. "Oh. . .Hey guys." She gave them a smile.

Steve's expression immediately dropped into concern, lightly taking the girl's chin and tilting it so he could look at her left cheek. "What the hell happened?"

She pushed his hand off, "Nothing. I tripped." She could see in Steve's eyes that he didn't believe her, that he was angry. "Wha- What are you guys up to?"

"We're getting flowers for this dipshit's ex." Rylie laughed, nudging herself against Steve.

"We didn't technically break up-" Steve interjected with a frown, snapping his attention from Russell's bruise to his blonde friend.