VII - Demo-dogs

Neil and Susan walked into the Hargrove household, home from the date they had gone out on in the middle of the day. "Hey guys, we're home." Susan called out, placing her bags on the kitchen table. When there was no response, she called again, "Guys? Hello?"

"Max?" The woman walked down the hallway, going into her daughter's room. She found it empty; the girl's skateboard on her bed and her window open. "Neil, honey! Maxine- She's gone." Susan ran out of her daughter's room, going up to her husband with fear in her eyes.

The man groaned, going to his own daughter's room and banging against the door. "Audrey! You better open this damn door before I beat you!" There was no response. He flung the door open, the handle denting the wall. His daughter wasn't there, he was pissed. Technically, he had told her to leave. But that's not the way Neil Hargrove saw it. He saw it as an act of defiance. His daughter going out of her way to inconvenience him. Susan was just behind Neil, knocking against the eldest of the children's door.

He had music up loud and could barely hear his step-mother. "Billy?"

"Yeah, I'm a little bit busy in here, Susan."

"Open the door. Right now!" Neil yelled at his son.

Billy pulled the door open, looking at his guardians. "What's wrong?"

"Why don't you tell us?" Neil asked.

"Because I don't know."

"We can't find Maxine." Susan explained the situation in simple terms. "Her window's open."

"And your sister's been gone since yesterday before lunch." Neil added. "Where are they?"

"I don't know." Billy shook his head, getting antsy on his feet.

"You don't know?" Neil scoffed.

"Look, I'm sure she just. . .I don't know, went to the arcade or something." He walked back over to his closet. "And didn't you kick Ru-Audrey out?" Billy tripped up on his sister's name, knowing that their father would be upset had he called her by her actual name and not her brith given name. "I'm sure they're fine."

"You were. . .supposed to watch her." Neil followed the blond into his room.

"I know, Dad. I was. It's just you guys were three hours late, and. . .well, I have a date." Billy pulled on a black leather jacket that was nearly identical to the one he had given Rylie. Nearly. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"So that's why you've been staring at yourself in the mirror like some faggot instead of watching your sister?" Neil asked his son, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I have been looking after her all week, Dad. Okay? She wants to run off then that's her problem, alright?" Billy yelled. "She's thirteen years old. She shouldn't need a full-time babysitter. And she's not my sister!" Billy turned off his music.

Neil grabbed his son by his jacket, slamming Billy against the bookshelf in his room. Billy was panting, looking at his father with pure hatred. "What did we talk about?" When Billy didn't answer, Neil slapped him across the face. The man grabbed his son by the chin, making him look at him again. "What did we. . .talk about?" His words were slow.

"Respect and responsibility." Billy seethed.

"That is right. Now, apologize to Susan."

Billy paused, his eyes never leaving his father's. "I'm sorry, Susan."

"It's okay, Neil. Really-"

"No, it's not okay. Nothing about his behavior is okay. But he's gonna make up for it." Neil let go of Billy, turning to his wife. "He's gonna call whatever whore he's seeing tonight and cancel their date. And then, he's gonna go find his sisters. Like the good, kind, respecting brother that he is. Isn't that right, Billy?" Billy didn't answer and Neil took a step toward him, shouting. "Isn't that right?"