two:: tattoos

The door creaked open.

It was our mother. She came in with that usual smile with that bright red lipstick. Her hair was blonde and severely covered in hair spray. So much hair spray you couldn't even brush a single strand of that hair. She had an apron on, looking like she came out of the 80s.

Both of us quickly sat up.

"Hello you two," she said kindly, with that smile.

"Hi Mom," I said while my brother waved.

"You both look wonderful." she said.

Wonderful? Seriously? We've been wearing these white outfits like we were in a mental asylum since we were kids. What's different? I just knew something was coming.

"Uh.. thanks mom..?" my brother said as we exchanged looks.

"Why of course! You look handsome indeed!" she went over to Andrew and ruffled his hair as I rolled my eyes.

Then she ran over to my side of the bed, "Why, you are so beautiful Arabella."

and she ruffled my hair.

"Now," she said.

"There is one thing." 

I knew that was coming.

"Your father would like you both over to... give you something. Oh but don't worry! It will be fun." she said, her smile widening.

Creepy.I don't know what her definition of "fun" was but I knew it wasn't good. We had no choice but to reluctantly nod. Either way, we knew we couldn't argue with her.

Once she left and we saw the door close I looked to Andrew. He looked exhausted. I walked up to him.

"Jeez, I wish we could get a break." I said, making sure to face away from the camera and keep my tone down so the camera wouldn't catch anything.

"Whatever." he scoffed, 'C'mon, we need to go." and he stood up from the bed and started walking towards the door. I quickly followed beside him.

We opened the door and saw our mother waiting in front. Again with that freakish smile! She lead us across. She didn't even look back at us once, to see if we were following. It was like she knew we were there. 

We followed through the long building where our father had other test subjects. Not just humans, but animals, bugs, plants, everything. I wonder where my father got these kids. Either way we were never allowed to meet them, nor ask about them.

Our mother finally stopped at a door and opened a door. There our father sat. His one eyed spectacle, in his weirdly fashioned suit and his white beard. But it wasn't just our father. It was... a tattoo guy?

A tattoo guy? Why would there be a tattoo guy? I mean- I knew our father was crazy, but surely he wouldn't give US tattoos, right? We're clearly underage, right?

"Richard. The kids are here." my mother said.

He looked up, not smiling once. He had a cold demeanor and spoke in his normal aggressive tone,

"Come here."

My brother and I quickly walked over to him. The tattoo guy had a bunch of tattoos over him. He was like  that emo rock guy. He stared coldy at us, his expression unproachable. 

"You see children," our father continued,

He couldn't even bother to say our name. I think he even forget our names to begin with.

"To represent us, we will be leaving a.. symbol on you. Permanent."

My brother and I exchanged looks. Symbol? Permanet? Why is he being so vague?

Then he blurted bluntly,

"You're getting tattoos."

What? Tattoos? I.. I knew our father was psycho but really? Tattoos? We're just kids- we can't have tattoos. It's illegal! He could be in jail. I stare in shock, but not daring to move my mouth and say a word.

I could sense Andrew's shock.

My father smacked his lips and sighed.

"Andrew. Get over here." he said, not exactly in the kindest way and patted the seat next to the tattoo artist. 

Andrew was told to lay his wrist and the artist began to lay the ink. I could see how much it was hurting Andrew.

I could sense his pain. Yet, he didn't cry. I had to admit he was strong.

 Why were we even getting these? I had so many questions, but I kept my mouth shut.

Mom was smiling like a freak, staring at him.

I looked closer and it seemed he was getting  a weird symbol on his wrist. A symbol like the sun rising over the horizon. It was an half circle over a line.

One? What does that mean? This is all just crazy and I couldn't think straight. 

After a few minutes his wrist was red and he sat up.  Slowly, I walked up to him and stared at his wrist in shock. He gave me a look.

I realized then, I would have to get it too. Next was me. 

"Now you. Get up Andrew and sit down Arabella."

I huffed, maybe he did know our names I thought sarcastically and sat down.

I sat down, gulping, laid my wrist down as I heard the artist getting his tattoo pen ready. I couldn't look at my wrist and I was too scared ,so I looked to the side. 

Mom was smiling like a freak as usual, and Andrew was just watching his expression unreadable. I heard him getting the gear ready and suddenly, 

I felt the sharp needle poke through my skin.

One by one, it felt like a millon knifes were poking my wrist. A bunch of bees stinging my wrist or sharp pricks poking my skin. It was painful. 

My wrist started to turn red. My eyes started to water. 

I couldn't hold it back in. My eyes watered and the tears fell down my cheeks. I tensed.

I've never felt this much pain. Each needle pricked and through each poke my tears got harder. 

Soon, he stopped and immediately eased. Tears were still falling but they were lighter.

I sat up  and saw the symbol on my wrist.