✵SEVENTEEN✵

~~~Volturi Palace, Volterra, Italy~~~

~~2005~~

For the next few weeks, they had fallen into a sort of routine. Imani and Loki would start the morning off by going to the library. Since Imani had just been turned and hadn't truly been educated about the world's history, Loki taught her until midday.

Around noon, their respective mates would grow tired of not seeing them. Alec was weaker than Caius. He would linger outside of the library doors listening to Loki teach the newborn until Loki let Imani go, and Alec met her outside.

Typically, Alec would just talk to her for hours, or they would spend time with Felix, who grew to enjoy the female vampire. Of course, Alec was wary of the male, but he knew he wouldn't try anything.

After that, Imani would be sought out by Marcus, who wanted to teach the young one about her newfound vampirism. He was kind and read books with her and was teaching her Italian so that she could go into the world in a few years.

For Loki, after she was done teaching Imani, she would go to her room of ice and just relax there. Most days, she barely saw Caius because of all of his work, but on some days, he would seek her out while she was reclining in the safety of her quarters.

He would then go with her to his study and they would talk for hours about her travels and debate historical events. Then, he would go to trials for most of the night.

Loki and Imani would stay in the room of ice all night and simply enjoy themselves. Loki had softened while she was with the girl, and they had become close friends. Sometimes, when she was not needed, Jane would join them.

Jane wanted to get to know her brother's mate, so she spent time with her and the Queen. Loki introduced them to her animals and they talked like any friends would.

On the Tuesday of the third week, the routine had deviated.

There was a knock on the door while Imani was peppering Loki with questions during their early-morning library sessions. 

"Come in," Loki said, caught off-guard. No one disturbed them, typically, unless it was important. And even then, they usually didn't get past Alec, who would always stand outside and protect the Queen and his soulmate.

Alec walked in, and Loki noticed Imani sit up straight as she watched Alec walk towards the goddess.

"My Queen, a telephone call, from the Olympic Coven." Loki's heart leaped at the idea of getting to speak to Carlisle. She took the phone from Alec's hands.

"Hello?"

"My dearest friend." Carlisle's warm voice came from the other side, and Loki smiled.

"Carlisle. What do I owe the pleasure?" She heard him chuckle. "Esme told me that you would immediately think of that, and you are right. Friend, I am concerned. Renesmee is growing too quickly. At this rate, she will be full-grown in three years." 

Loki sighed. "I'm sorry, my friend, but I know nothing of hybrids. I've only met one in my time, and you did as well when the snow stuck to the ground." 

Alec had started paying attention to the call, while Imani frowned.

"Who's Carlisle?" Loki had not yet told her sireling of the Cullens.

"An old friend of the Volturi, and a close friend of the Queen. That is how Master Caius found her, she was at the trial of the Olympic Coven," Alec said quietly, attempting to listen to the conversation.

"Please, my companion, I need you to come here."

"Carlisle, I would be no help. Besides...I have a reason to stay here." She then said goodbye and hung up the phone. She gave it to Alec.

"Tell me about the Cullens, Lo," Imani said as she tapped her fingers on the table. Alec noticed this and wondered about his mate. So unusual.

"I don't know much about any of them except for Carlisle. I knew him when he was a newborn, only a little older than you." Imani nodded.

"Do you require anything, My Queen?" Alec asked. As soon as she dismissed him, he would report to Caius. Now that he had a mate, he understood how Caius felt, and he knew that he would want to know about Carlisle calling his mate.

"Not particularly, thank you. Before you go, do you have anything to add on the subject of Miguel de Cervantes? Imani and I are debating on whether or not to read Don Quixote." Imani grinned.

"I want to read it. It sounds good. What do you think, Alec?" She looked up at him, and he was at a loss.

"I don't believe I've read it." Imani smiled and sped to the bookshelf that held a copy and sped back. She handed it to Alec. "Here. Then tell me if I should."

He took it. "Thank you."

"I enjoy the novel, but I am not a fan of Cervantes. But, I won't keep you, Alec, thank you. You may go now." Then he left. Imani sat impatiently, waiting for Loki to continue telling her about the Cullens.

"Carlisle was turned in the 1600s. He stayed with the Volturi for about 20 years upon my urging, then went off to start his own coven. The Cullens live off of animal blood. It weakens them, but still, they do it." That confused Imani, but she didn't say anything.

"And, you stood with them against the Volturi?" Since Imani had been turned, she had forgotten her human life more and more. Now, all she knew was that Loki turned her.

Since she was essentially 'growing up' with the Volturi, she was more sympathetic to their cause and more loyal. But, above all, she was loyal to her creator, the God of Mischief.

"Yes. I stood with my friend against the Volturi, and that is how all of this started." Imani knew the rest of the story. 

Caius had spotted her from afar, and then an agreement was drawn up. She would stay with them for a year. It's almost been two months since then, and Imani knew that their time was short. 

Soon, her Queen would have to decide whether or not to stay with the Volturi, and Imani would be expected to make the same choice, seeing as Alec was her mate. What pained her was that if Loki decided to leave, she would follow her. 

Even though Alec was her mate, she would follow the goddess.

As Loki continued to teach the newborn, things were changing around the castle.

Jane, the seemingly perfect Volturi guard, was taking her crest off and placing it in her jewelry chest, as she wore her dog tag proudly. 

Demitri took his off and traced his thumb over the V, thinking deeply. 

Alec wondered if he would side against the Volturi if it was the goddess against them.