25

I climbed on Amaris, finally cleared by Sina to do so. As soon as the gates opened, I galloped away. About three miles from the palace, I had Amaris stop in the middle of the grasslands, and sent him away again. Out of range. Everything and everyone was out of range. I sighed, breathing deeply in and out. Breathing was key. Not only to contain my shadows but to keep my star powers in. I was still in sight from the palace. And I would give them a show. I shook my hands, gliding with one over my throat. Slowly I let shadows leave my body. From the tips of my hands, rippling off my back. A waterfall of the thickest, darkest mist fell from me, covering the ground around me, pooling further and further. More and more. I started twisting the shadows, almost like a twister around me. Adding more and more.

The humming didn't stop. It grew and grew, reveled in its release. More than I anticipated. I had gone too long without using any of my powers. Too long. My magic had been stirring for too long, rendered useless. The twister grew, surrounding me in darkness. I took a deep breath and did what I had wanted to do for the past week. I let out a scream. A scream that had all my frustration, all my pain, all my fear in it. Shadows burst from me, a solid wave this time, and spread out wide and. This is why I'd venture far into the grasslands. Nothing could be hurt here. Not by me. I held the shadows for seconds, the magic feeling better than before. Soon, the strain was gone and I reabsorbed the shadows. Like nothing had happened. Then, I went on to do a few fighting combinations I'd made to use with my shadow magic. Quick and effective burst of magic, more subtle than the outburst seconds earlier.

Once I'd finished that, I whistled. Amaris came running for me. I climbed on his back, watching over the field. The grass where I'd stood and trained had flattened. I could see the outlines of the twister in the grass, as well as the edge of where I'd let my shadows come. The grass would bounce back. I just stared at the sheer size of it all. Bigger than I'd thought. Much bigger. My eyes turned to the palace, where I could make out the silhouettes of multiple people on the walls. Definitely a show. Amaris started walking slowly back towards the palace. I steadied my breathing, panting a bit after the exercises. My head was clearer now, the magic in my bones had settled and the vibrations had stopped at last.

Once I felt comfortable enough, I had Amaris gallop the rest of the way. He seemed eager to prove his speed as the wind ran through my hair, blowing my braid far behind me. The cold of the day went through my leathers and I took a deep breath of the crisp air around me. It was finally dry, after days of rain. And I was finally out of bed, out of that room. And unfortunately, immediately on my way into a meeting with Haelyn, Wessel, Holden, Nolan, and Thomas. When I came closer, I spotted all of them on the walls, watching me like hawks. I didn't have to put Amaris in the stables myself as a stable boy took the reigns as soon as I had dismounted. Thomas awaited me at the entrance of the palace, a careful smile on his face.

"I can definitely see why you needed to get away from people. How are you feeling?" he whispers.
"Better," I whisper back, walking a step behind him. Together we walked the long way to Haelyn's office behind the throne room. A bigger, fancier office, meant for more important meetings, or meetings where she would need to look more intimidating. Wessel waited for us, holding the door open, nodding his head in respect when we entered. Holden stood behind Haelyn, on guard, while Nolan stood behind them both, hanging in the window frame. Wessel joined him, leaning with his shoulder on the wall. Thomas stood on the other side, behind his mother, averting his eyes entirely. They'd already gone through what was going to be said.

"Quite the spectacle, Protector Eira," Haelyn says with a smirk on her face. There was something unnerving about the casual tug of her lips, and the tone of her voice.
"Didn't mean it to be, Your Majesty. I simply did what was needed to get better," I respond, bowing my head slightly.
"Of course. And we're all very glad that you are better now. However, we've run into a slight... problem. Something we want your opinion on as well, before we make a decision."
"Whatever you need, Your Majesty."
"I was hoping you'd say that. Take down your mental wall so I can asses you, and we can start."