19

"You had fun, Storm?" I ask with a wide grin. We had switched horses again when we had entered the woods. 
"Definitely. This was amazing," Thomas emphasizes. He was still panting slightly. I chuckle a bit and let Amaris speed up a bit. We had been riding for about thirty minutes, coming closer to a large open field I knew was there. The forest was thinning. 
"Where are we going, Sunshine?" Thomas asks. 
"Sunshine?"
"It's meant to be ironic. Since you're literally shadows." 
"We're going to a big open field. And as soon as were out of this forest, we race. Not to win, but to go as quick as our horses can, as far as they can carry us."
"Why?"
"It's the closest we can come to flying."

I had barely spoken the words when we could see the field spread out. It stretched for miles, not a tree in sight. I shot Thomas a challenging look, before grabbing Amaris' reigns securely. Thomas did the same, and as soon as we stepped out of the last foliage, we were off. Amaris galloped faster than ever before, the cold wind a bit harsh on my cheeks, that turned red. My hair was blown behind me, a lively mess of its chestnut color. I sat upright more and more, letting go of the reigns, arms spread wide. I closed my eyes and let myself feel everything. The sunshine lighting up my face, the wind tangling my hair even more, the rhythmic movement of Amaris' strong body underneath me. Then I heard a whoop. It was this freeing, lighthearted sound that made me slow down and look back. Thomas was far behind, his arms spread wide too, and he was yelling in pure joy. The wind picked up as he exhaled, and it swooped him up, high into the sky. 

Fear and bewonderment filled his eyes as he was flung into the air by his own magic. He then smiled and another blast of air passed me, making him drift higher. He banked left, using his control over the wind to lower him safely. He then made a somersault in the air, and pushed himself upward, straight up, with so much force he flew toward the clouds. There, he let out another roar of excitement, yelled something I couldn't understand, and slowly lowered himself with athletic maneuvers. I applauded as he came running towards me, his smile wide. I got off Amaris, extending my hand, but he used it to pull me into a tight embrace. I chuckled and got out of it. "That looked like an awful lot of fun, Storm," I say. 
"I feel such relief," Thomas starts his rant. "Oh that anxiety, that constant nervous buzzing... it's gone. Oh if only you could see how beautiful everything us from up there, so high in the sky. I could see so far I think I saw the mansion. And I saw Nuenen. And the forest that stretches so very far and wide. And I'm so tired now."
"You did use a huge amount of magic all at once. You should be tired."
"And I remembered what you said yesterday. I didn't strain myself. I let it flow through my hands. So when I was riding, feeling that wind, I felt my magic react. And I let it. I let go, and a second later I was flying through the air, not a care in the world."

Thomas went on and on, explaining every feeling in detail, how he almost lost his balance in the sharp turns he made, how his magic felt, how good he felt now. I let him talk about it, sitting down in the high grass. Amaris laid down next to me, rolling through it after I removed the saddle and bags. Thomas' horse was grazing nearby. I chuckled when Thomas laid down next to me, folding his arms underneath his head, and staring up at the sky. He let out a deep, exhausted sigh, and smiled so widely. 
"Sorry I hugged you. I know you don't like it," he then says. 
"Just this once, I didn't mind. I was happy for you," I reply kindly. 
"I owe it to you. Now I know I'm not nearly close to being done. But today felt really good. I wasn't afraid of my powers. Not scared I could lose control. And I think yesterday helped with that."
"Even though I had you hang upside down by your ankles, above a freezing cold lake?"
"Yes. I was less scared of falling now. If you do that again though, I think I'll freeze you."
"I'd like to see you try." We laughed together.

"Why did you decide to accept Sorin's offer to become his student?" Thomas asks, still staring at the sky, where clouds were slowly passing. 
"I needed the money. And if people didn't like me, I thought it would be better than being alone. And capturing Sorin was the last boost I needed to realize that I could do it."
"Eight years later, you're one of the very best."
"Well, I don't think your mother would've asked for less." Thomas chuckles.
"That's true. I'm glad she asked for you though. Like I said, I don't think I could've gotten through today."
"You would've. It would've been difficult, but you could've done it."
"Still. I don't think I can ever thank you enough."
"You don't have to thank me. I liked doing this. And this is just a one-time thing, let's be clear at that."
"Kinda guessed that. Thank you for doing it."
"Glad to hear you liked it."