13

The next day was frightfully uneventful. My run with Thomas went on smoother than I expected, even though he started complaining the second I showed up at his door. The stretching afterwards tired him out completely. Thirty minutes before breakfast his Royal Guards showed up so he could get ready, and I hadn't seen him since. He had skipped the practice with the Royal Guards to read again, and after lunch he had asked Wessel to show him the Vault in the Capitol, so he could learn more about the relics Ascana held. 

In the meantime, I had read through months of reports of my fellow Protectors, spitting trough every attack involving magical creatures, starting with three months ago. I knew the average amount of incidents, those were shared at every Protectors meet, once every two months. They had been consistent for the last few years, after the fallout of the civil war had increased the attacks. Creatures thought we had weakened. Thought they could wreak havoc wherever they pleased. They were in for quite the surprise when the Protectors were fully operational and kicking their asses to the Fallen Valley.

For me, it was the first time working without Sorin. Or anyone for that matter. There were a few creatures that recognized me as a Droserian, only a handful of them recognizing me as their princess. The ones that did, feared me. They ran to the valley, or ran for the Wall. Some made it, some I had to stop, some I had to do more than that. It was when I saw the fear of a Protector finding them for the first time. That was the moment I realized what I had become. Instead of their friend, a Droserian, I was an Ascanian Protector. Someone that hunted them, so they could be sentenced to death via the Fallen Valley. That was the moment I promised myself I would try and listen to those who needed it. Offer help to whoever needed it. 

When the dust settled and my plan worked, I was finally able to return to my siblings. It had been two years since the war, and a little longer since I had seen them. The girls had started to talk in the local tongue near perfectly. Caspen had dropped his accent. His cane was no longer alien to him. They had changed. Slightly, but they had. The girls had started to show the first signs of being individuals. Anwyn's eyes had gotten brighter blue. Raidne's freckles were starting to come in. Though Caspen said that out of the four of us, I had changed the most. The kindness in my eyes was gone, according to him. He knew I was hardening over time, something he saw before we had to flee from Drosera. It seemed the war had pushed me over the edge. 

I let out a deep sigh. The first of the three months already had an increase, mainly around Atarah, Aeris and Nuenen. By the second month, Monteriss and Hoverly joined the list. Only the Capital and Kamari regions remained untouched by the increasing attacks. Same goes for the last month, though the incidents were steadily increasing throughout the country. I started on my report so I could bring it to Nolan. It was a long one, listing everything with the greatest detail. A knock on my door interrupted me from my train of thought. 
"Protector Eira? Do you have a moment?" Thomas asked through the door. 
"Yes, come on in," I said.
"I can't. Your shadows are kind of blocking the door."
"Oh right, sorry." I lowered the shadows in front of my door and opened it with them. 

"Sorry, I forgot I'd done that," I say as I turn to face the prince.
"Why exactly do it? I mean, I get it when you're gone but you were here for the entirety of your day."
"I was working. How was your trip to the Capitol? Learned something?"
"Oh I did. And I saw my people. It has been years since I last went to the Capitol just to see it. Not undercover but as their Prince. I saw it during parades of course, but those would be dreadfully boring and just go down the main street before returning."
"How was seeing your people as their Prince?"
"Impressive. Hard-working and kind and hospitable, as I know them to be. They were excited to see me, I guess. Though some didn't like it."
"You were absent for years. Besides, not everyone likes your mother. So they won't like you."
"People don't like my mother?" Thomas' eyebrows shot up and his head tilted a bit. 
"Why does that surprise you?" I look at him, just as surprised. "She tightened the leash on everyone after the civil war. Only the Protector Trials were allowed. Everyone doing any Trial meant for their job would be arrested and brought before her. A lot of healers, blacksmiths, and merchants quit their magic out of fear." Thomas' mouth fell open, sitting down on one of the couches. He started swinging his feet up, stopping when he saw my warning look. He clears his throat and sits upright.