14

"Eira, you look phenomenal," Nolan says as he comes to join me. He wears a black suit, nice but plain. His hair is combed back, allowing the mostly grey sides to shine. I smile kindly, still scanning the crowd. 
"Thank you Nolan. You clean up nice too," I reply. 
"Yes well, the Queen likes her celebrations. It'd be rude to come in my leathers."
"Indeed."'
"Eira, allow me to apologize-" he started, facing me.
"Nolan you've never apologized to me before, you don't need to start now. I won't tell anyone since it's nobodies business. Tomorrow, I'll have the rapport you had me write ready." I scanned the growing crowd, spotting a few familiar faces. Some of the ladies that had been gawking at Thomas in the gardens, a few men I had seen during the hunt. 
"Tomorrow? When did you do the work?"
"This morning." Nolan blinked, then blinked again, his mouth slightly agape.
"You have worked through three months, hundreds of reports, in the few hours you had off?"
"I even made the entire rapport. Don't worry, I've been thorough."
"Well, I look forward to seeing it."
"Of course."

Nolan turned on his heels and walked over to General Holden, congratulating him. I kept going over the crowd, ignoring the names that were called. I could remember if I wanted, it just seemed like a waste of time and effort. Lady Catherine and Lord Ferington arrived together, which didn't come as a surprise, and walked up to the dais. Lord Ferington bowed at the waist, Lady Catherine curtsied deep, showing off her cleavage. Thomas cleared his throat, looking at his mother with a desperate look in his eyes. My shadows listened in, going unnoticed by them. "Your Majesty, Your Highness, you look fabulous tonight," Lord Ferington says with a coy smile.
"Always a pleasure seeing you Ferington. Do enjoy the party," Haelyn says monotone. She too is scanning the crowd. Her gaze locks on something, or rather someone. I follow her gaze.

Immediately the blood in my veins freeze, and my throat becomes a desert. "Introducing his Majesty Morfran, King of Drosera," the announcer calls out. Every eye in the room goes to him as he strides towards the dais. He wears a deep, maroon red suit with ornate gold details. I try not to stare as he passes me, luckily only looking towards Thomas and Haelyn. He bows just low enough to be respectful, his eyes as hard as steel. "Your Majesty, thank you so very kindly for the invitation." His voice is just as deep and wicked as I remember. A shiver goes down my spine as I keep listening through my shadows. 
"Thank you for joining us on such short notice, Morfran. It's lovely to have you here," Haelyn says with a smile. 
"It has been too long. The last time I saw you and Thomas, your son wasn't nearly this grown. How are you, young prince?" From the corner of my eye I can see Thomas is just as tense as I am. He clears his throat before he answers. "I'm fine, Your Majesty. It indeed has been a while."
"I will have a chair pulled up. You must join us, please," Haelyn says.
"That sounds delightful. Don't mind if I take you up on that," Morfran replies, a sly smile tugging at his lips. 

I tear my gaze away, noting my breath is shallow and sweat had broken out. After a few deep breaths, I regain most of my senses, letting my shadows do their work through the crowds. There's a lot of gossip. Some of it I enjoy listening to, most of it are ridiculous notions, and some is about me. The ladies of the court don't know my purpose, just that I have been seen with the prince. Catherine joins in shortly after Morfran's arrival, saying that I am simply a bodyguard. Luckily, I seem to blend in well. The ladies wear gowns that are just as elaborate or even more extravagant than mine, and my face blends in. Not too pretty to stand out, not to ugly to go noticed. I was a shadow to them. 

Later that evening, Thomas gets up from his seat to mingle. After a round among the men of the council, he stands next to the pillar I stand. He stands on the other side of it, so we can't see each other. "You have to get me out of this Ball. I can't take another minute up there," he whispers.
"I'm sorry Your Highness. There's nothing I can do that will make this Ball be cut short," I whisper back, still looking to the crowd.
"Please Eira. Do you know how obnoxious that man can be?" He points quickly towards the dais. Of course I knew. I couldn't tell him.
"I know his reputation. Go dance with some ladies. Entertain the court. It will keep you away from the King of the Broken Kingdom, your mother will be happy, and maybe you'll enjoy it."
"Will you dance?"
"No, I won't."
"You said you like dancing."
"I like dancing alone, when it's just me and the music. I don't dance with a partner. You are the Crown Prince. Give those girls a night they won't soon forget, and say you're tired. Your mother might believe you after seeing you dance and mingle during the evening."
"That's... actually not bad." I hear him chuckle.