27. Isobel

Eska's POV

It had been several days since I'd healed Stefan, and I was feeling much stronger than I had been, more confident, perhaps? Whether that was a bi-product of using an inordinate amount of magic to help a friend, or to have your sister who normally despised the ground you stood on finally look at you like a person, I didn't know and I didn't care. All I knew was that for the first time in as long as I could remember, I felt good.

"Hey." I closed my locker door to see Bonnie standing on the other side of it.

"Hey," I smiled at her.

"Do you want to come over later, after school? We haven't had a chance to talk about things..."

I nodded enthusiastically. "Sure, I'm free tonight."

"Perfect. My place at 6? We could get a pizza?"

I balked, and Bonnie noticed, her words all rushing out. "Or if you want to eat before you get there, that's cool..."

I shook myself, chastising myself inwardly for not being able to do normal things like normal people. Get a grip, Eska, I told myself. I reminded myself that I was feeling good today. I was feeling strong.

"No, pizza sounds great. Thanks, Bonnie."

Bonnie tried not to look surprised, and I appreciated the effort. As she was about to speak, Caroline came bounding down the corridor, blonde hair flying in her wake.

"Bonnie, I've been looking everywhere for you! Oh, hey, Eska. You look great today - have you done something with your hair?"

I blushed, but before I could even thank her, she turned back to Bonnie, her voice now more hushed.

"Bonnie, I wanted to ask you - what is going on between you and Elena? Are you guys good? 'Cause there's an atmosphere, and not a good one, you know?"

Bonnie looked at Caroline blankly before shaking her head. "I don't want to talk about it, Care," she said softly, and Caroline visibly deflated.

"Whatever it is, you guys need to sort it out. You've been besties forever - you can't let whatever it is break up your friendship."

I spared Bonnie a weak smile, knowing exactly how it felt to be at odds with Elena, having been in that situation my whole life.

"We'll be fine, Care," Bonnie tried to reassure her friend, before waving at me and heading to class.

Alaric's class was coming to an end. I liked Alaric, or Mr Saltzman as we called him at school. He was kind, and I hadn't forgotten how he'd helped me that time that Stefan and I had been kidnapped on our walk.

The bell rang and we were dismissed, and I swung my heavy bag onto my shoulder and made to leave the room.

"Eska," Ric stopped me. "Elena, Stefan, you guys too. Can you stay behind for a few minutes?"

My sister and I exchanged glances but did as we were bid, as did Stefan. I went to sit at one of the desks at the front of the classrooms, and was surprised to see Damon, appearing out of nowhere, taking a seat at the desk next to me.

"Tiny Gilbert," he greeted me, and I rolled my eyes at him, turning back to Ric to see what he had to say.

"Damon, thanks for coming." Alaric nodded at Damon, who just smirked back."Sorry I'm late. My dog ate my uh...never mind." He looked at Stefan and Elena, raising an eyebrow at their concerned faces. "What's with all the furrowed brows?"

"I saw Isobel last night." I looked sharply back at Ric, wondering why he would have met my alleged mother.

"Isobel is here?" I asked. He nodded.

"In town? Did you ask her about Uncle John? Are they working together?" Damon took over the questioning.

"No."

"No they're not?"

"No, I didn't ask." I exchanged an exasperated look with Damon. Why hadn't Ric asked?

"What about the invention?" Perhaps Damon should have been a lawyer.

"Didn't ask."

"Did she know about the tomb vampires?" Scrap that, he wouldn't have had the patience.

"I don't know."

"Did words completely escape you?" Damon was no longer hiding his annoyance.

"No, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions." I mean, fair...

Damon looked over at Elena and I.

"What did she want?" He asked, as if we'd know.

"She wants to see me, Damon." It was almost funny, the self-importance that was exuding my sister in waves, and I had to look away to stop myself from giggling.

Damon himself looked amused, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants." Why was this the first I was hearing about this? My frustration started to rise as I realised that Alaric, Stefan and Elena had likely already talked about this without me present.

"Is it only you that Isobel requests the honour of meeting?" I asked, sarcasm dripping. "Or did she extend the generous invitation to her other daughter?"

The others looked at me in surprise, and I immediately regretted my tone.

"I... we should have..." Alaric was stammering, realising that maybe, just maybe, I should not be hearing about this for the first time in this way.

"Whatever." I stood up from behind the desk. "Do what you want to do."

Damon watched me, his eyes seeming to want to say something that he couldn't voice out loud. Instead, when his mouth opened, he turned back to Elena."You don't have to see her if you don't want to."

Stefan looked at me, surprised by the gentleness in his brothers voice as he spoke to Elena.

"I don't really have a choice." Elena 'the martyr' Gilbert.

"She's threatened to go on killing spree." Alaric backed her up.

"Oh! I take it that's not okay with you guys." Damon looked back at me, catching my eye as I reached the door. He looked... regretful?

"I want to do it. I want to meet her. If I don't, I know I'll regret it."