16. Numb

*A/N: This is a bit of a filler chapter, but I couldn't find a way to get Eska's character into Episode 16 of the series. I used it as an opportunity to explore the characters just a little. Thanks in advance for reading!*

Eska's POV

It was one of those days. One of those days where I felt like I was nothing; like I didn't exist - shouldn't exist. I felt numb. 

How was one person supposed to cope with this much? Starting and living life as someone else's shadow, losing both parents and almost myself before reaching adulthood, finding out that they weren't actually your biological parents, and then finding out that someone you'd started to trust had taken an biological parent from you. 

Damon had tried to call me, and had sent me countless text messages. But I didn't know what to say. What are you supposed to say? Life is tricky enough as it is, but there's not self-help book on how to deal with a vampire who most likely killed your birth mum...

I sighed, running my hands through my hair and grabbed my jacket as I headed out of the house. 

"Eska..." I heard my aunt call me. Damn, I was so close to freedom... 

I turned to face her, and her face fell a little, before she quickly pulled herself together. 

"Eska, are you okay, sweetie?" 

I nodded. 

"You know you can talk to me, right?" 

Again, I nodded. I knew that I could. But I wouldn't - I didn't know what to say.

"Would you like to do something together soon? Just the two of us? I'd really like to spend some time with you." 

I was actually really touched. Jenna had never asked to spend time with just me before. I felt a small smile come to my face. She seemed encouraged and continued. 

"You choose what you'd like to do, and I'll be there. Perhaps we could go for a nice walk? Or to the mall? Coffee? Anything!" 

She was getting excited and I couldn't help but feel my heart melt a little at her eagerness. Jenna was one of the sweetest people I knew; she'd completely put her own life on hold to look after three teenagers, none of which were particularly easy. I sometimes wondered - if she'd known that she'd have to be custodian of a potential drug addict, someone on suicide watch, and a teen who's ego and self-importance was so inflated, it was a miracle that she fit through her own front door, whether she'd still have gone ahead with it. 

I reached my arms around her, and gave her hug. Of course she would. She was my Auntie Jenna.

Jacob's POV

I waited impatiently for her to arrive. The thought of spending the day with her made me cringe a little inside, but it was important to keep up appearances, and if we were to appear to be a couple, we'd have to act like one. Not that it was much of an effort for Eska - she was so enraptured with the idea of anyone actually noticing her that she was evidently falling head over heels for me. It was a bit sad really.

Still, it was part of the plan - court her, as my family would have once said. Court her until she has grown into her true power. And then...

The doorbell went and I heaved myself out of the deep armchair I'd been lounging in, plastering the smarmy smile on my face that I knew made women fall for me. A tried and tested technique.

It was raining pretty heavily outside, and as I opened the door, I saw Eska standing on the porch, absolutely soaked. I frowned. She couldn't be part of the plan if she got pneumonia and died... I cleared my throat. 

"Ah babe, you're wet through - come on in, quickly! I'll grab you a towel!" 

You old charmer, you,  I congratulated myself as her eyes lit up and she smiled gratefully at me, following me into the hallway. 

I gestured to the armchair I'd just been seated in, and went to get a towel. I returned draping it over her shoulders, and placed a gentle kiss on her head. That was all it took. She looked up at me, her eyes filled with gratitude and adoration. It was almost too easy.

Damon's POV

She just wouldn't answer her damn phone! Even Elena was on the way to forgiving me for the... unfortunate... incident, and I was pretty sure that if Elena could find a way to have you attending her every whim to appease guilt, she would. So why wouldn't Eska?

I started glumly into the flames, flickering in the ancient hearth place, turning the crystal glass that was just a little too full of bourbon in my hands. And now there was this problem with the tomb vampires. Pearl had made it all too clear that I was going to help her, whether I wanted to or not. 

I sighed, draining the glass of it's contents in one, swift gulp. Perhaps it was for the best that Eska stayed away from me for a while. She was probably safer without vampires in her life for a little while, and she had enough demons to be dealing with without the extras that had escaped from the tomb. Yes, she was better off living a more normal life. For now. I'd get back to her somehow - I had to.