22. Manipulation

Eska's POV

I was finally released from the hospital, with no lasting damage, save for very bruised ribs. Oh and the somewhat chronic confusion that Grams' letter had brought me. 

I knocked on the door ahead of me, wondering if his parents were in. I'd yet to meet Jacob's parents, and I wondered what they were like, and what they did to keep them out of their house at all hours of the day. They were certainly not there whenever I visited, not that I'd been very good at that lately. I'd been surprised, and perhaps a little hurt that he'd not come to visit me in the hospital - but then again, as I tried to defend him in my head, he'd probably not known - who would have told him? I'd only just texted him myself to let him know that I'd been in hospital.

The door swung open, and he was there, in all his attractive glory, the cocky smirk that made my stomach do funny things, and the beautiful eyes that made by heart flutter a little.

"Hi," I whispered, suddenly feeling shy and unable to meet his gaze. 

"Hey, babe," he smiled that glorious smile and gestured for me to come in, and I did so, the butterflies starting to dissipate. "How are you feeling? I can't believe I didn't know you were in the hospital!"

"Sorry, Jacob," I started to mumble. "I couldn't contact you..."

"Shh, don't be silly!" He'd taken my hand in one of his, and was stroking the back of it gently. "You're okay, and that's all that matters." I nodded, smiling at him as he brought my hand to his lips where he kissed it. "What happened anyway?" He asked. I hadn't been very descriptive in my text.

"I had an allergic reaction," I explained, sticking with the story that Elena, Bonnie, Damon, Stefan and Alaric had concocted for me. "Ate something I shouldn't have." I could have giggled at the understatement.

"What was it you ate?" 

I panicked. I was a terrible liar. "Um, I'm not sure - just something Damon gave me." To be fair, it wasn't completely a lie...

Jacob's face hardened and my heart immediately fell. 

"What did I tell you about hanging out around him? He's bad news!" His once gentle grip on my hand was starting to get tighter.

"It wasn't on purpose," I promised him. "He was just there!" Again, it wasn't a lie, but apparently the guilt was clear on my face. 

"I can't believe you'd see him when I've asked you not to," Jacob's face was getting angry. "I asked you so nicely."

"I know..." 

"Was that small thing just too much to ask? It's like you don't respect me."

"No, Jacob, I do!" I couldn't believe how fast things were taking a turn for the worse, and I hurried to reassure him. "I respect you so much!"

"You have a funny way of showing it," he huffed, crossing his arms, and I let out a gasp of relief as my hand was freed from his grip. "I think you should go," he said, and I stared at him in shock. "I'm... I'm just hurt that you didn't do that one tiny thing I asked of you..."

I looked at my feet, ashamed that I'd hurt his feelings so badly. "I'll make it up to you?" I whispered, trying to keep the tears back. 

"Maybe," he said, looking away from me, the disappointment clear on his face.

"I'll... I'll just go." I headed back to the door, opening it with a trembling hand. What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I do anything right? He was my boyfriend - I was supposed to respect him, and make him happy. 

Jacob's POV

I watched her leave. Stupid girl. So eager to please; so eager that she couldn't even detect the blatant manipulation I was subjecting her to. I almost felt sorry for her. 

Almost. 

Sighing, I ran my hands through my hair. The plan, though slow in it's undertaking, was starting to take shape: 

Manipulate Damon Salvatore's obvious infatuation with Eska Gilbert so that he was around to keep her alive, use his continued presence as a another manipulation factor to make Eska feel bad for being around him, making her more pliable in my hands when she realises just how disappointed I am in her blatant disregard for my wishes. 

Then, just to mess with Salvatore and break Eska's spirit just that little bit more, have Damon show his true feelings towards her when solely in her presence, but have him treat her cooly when with others. 

All the while, my research will continue. Or maybe, just maybe, Eska will be so broken in spirit, that I'll be able to use her quite willing. Or unwillingly - whichever is easiest. 

Anyway. She was long gone by now - disappeared into the cold outside air in a cloud of dismay, shame and self-loathing, no doubt. 

Poor, sweet Eska. 

Life just wasn't fair.