12. Unpleasantville

Stefan's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about what Eska had said. I'd been awake all night, wracking my brain as to how I could possibly have missed her when I pulled Elena out of the wreckage. I felt terrible, and I wasn't sure that'd I'd ever be able to make it up to her; but I had to try. I couldn't help but feel a sort of protectiveness over Eska, the kind that a brother might feel for a younger sister, and I was determined to look out for her, even if she never spoke to me again.

I found Elena at her house and gave her the jewellery that I'd filled with vervain for her to give to her family and friends in a bid to keep them safe. Too many of them had come into harms way already because of vampires, and it was the least I could do to try and prevent it happening to anyone else that I cared about. Elena was thrilled with the pieces, and I felt my heart melting just a little at the smile on her gorgeous face. 

Eska walked past us, ignoring us both completely, and I rushed over to give her the piece that I'd made especially for her. 

"Eska," I called out to her, hoping to get her attention. She turned and looked at me, her eyes filled with more sadness and hurt than I'd ever thought possible and I swallowed thickly, the guilt once again washing over me. "Eska, I completely understand if you don't want to talk to me. I just wanted to give you this." 

I gently took her thin wrist in my hand and fastened the delicate bracelet around it that I had chosen for her. It was elegant, understated, yet timelessly beautiful - just like Eska. She looked down at it, eyes wide, before her gaze met mine, a question forming on her lips. 

"I made pieces for some of the others that vervain in them," I explained quickly. "Vervain stops compulsion, but you can't be compelled because you're a witch. I just thought you'd like the bracelet..." I was waffling, but I knew what I needed to say. "I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am, and I know that that will never change what happened, and I have no excuse for not seeing you. It was terrible, and I feel awful, and I'd understand if you never want to speak to me again, but I promise you, whether you want to be my friend or not, I will always look out for you. I will never let this happen again." 

She was still looking intensely at me, as if trying to verify the authenticity of my words before smiling sadly at me. "It's okay, Stefan. I forgive you. It wasn't really your fault - I'm just forgettable I guess. Thank you for the bracelet, it's beautiful, and you really didn't have to."

I was saddened by her words, but took her forgiveness as some sort of progress in my mission to be her friend. "I wanted to," I said firmly, smiling at her, before pulling her into a hug which she tentatively returned. 

"Stefan!" Elena called me, far louder than what I thought to be necessary, but I felt Eska immediately extract herself from my grip. She smiled shyly at me before turning and heading down the hall. 

I turned back to Elena who was scowling, hands on her hips. "What was that about?" she asked.

"I was just trying to apologise for what happened," I said. 

"Meh, she'll get over it," she retorted, shrugging before smiling brightly at me.